Jan 15, 2009

Frozen Pipes & Broken Links


The last time it was this cold in Nebraska, I was seven months pregnant with McCain, who is now 14 years old, and we woke up to frozen water pipes. That day continued to get worse when I had a blow out on the way to work. It was pre-cell phones then & I had to rely on the kindness of strangers seeing this very pregnant woman standing outside her car in the deepest freeze our state had ever seen…

Fast forward to the past twenty-four hours! Holy cow! When I got up this morning, the weather bug on my desktop said –14! I went to run the shower and flashbacked! No water pressure. For the first time since 1994, our water had frozen again! Thank goodness for technology – I opted to telecommute today! John went to work on the well.

The auto-waterer could no longer refill, but there was still some water in the back-up tank. John worked through the morning with heat lamps in the well, but it wasn’t budging. He pulled out our 50 gallon camping drum and went down the hill to his mom’s to get water to fill the tank in the afternoon. You’d have thought these horses had been trail riding all day in 90 degrees, as much water as they took. He gave the horses and our 4 cows about 120 gallons in the afternoon and another 50 at dusk. Shortly after, the pipes began to rumble and we had water!

On a happier note, with a little help from a friend, my website, Horsetrailriders.com, was resurrected today from the near fatal crash last Sunday. This latest incident truly made me realize how amateur my web skills really are. Thank you for your patience. I’ll continue to tweak it as needed, but for the most part, it is good to go.

Seems like every November
When the weather gets bad
I start to remember
All the good times we had
The long nights get longer
I wish a friend would come by
The forecast is zero
And the chill factors high

-Merle Haggard

8 comments:

  1. I am never going to understand why everyone doesn't live in Arizona, lol. Glad you're ok, but DANG!! That's WAY WAY WAY too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikey, I couldn't say it any better. It is WAY WAY WAY too cold! That's why I visit your blog... for a little warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a day! I'm glad you have water again. It really becomes a problem when you can't get it to the equines.
    It feels super cold here right now....and it's in the mid-thirties. It's a heatwave for you guys!
    Hang in there and stay cozy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! -14!
    We had -7 for a week last winter and I thought I'd never feel warm again.
    The pipes up to the barn froze...and then burst. What a mess!

    Stay warm. It's a good thing you've got thirsty horses, too. I'm always worried my horse won't drink enough if her water is too cold.

    ~Lisa
    aka~Rapunzel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate winter!! Sucks about your frozen pipes and I'm glad you have water again.

    Some day...I hope to move to CA or NM.

    Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:05 AM

    Brrr...cold cold cold! We've had some neg. degree days here, too, but thankfully none of our pipes have frozen! Last year our well pump croaked and you never really realize how much water you, your family and your critters use in one day until you have to haul it! It really gave me a whole new appreciation for the pioneer women who had to haul water every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:16 AM

    Glad you found your archives. As I writing my blog, I ealize that I should still save my writings on a zip drive. Vacation is over and I'll soon be writing about what I am reading in a Dressage book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. goodness, my spelling was terrible! Would you "please" go in and correct atleast the spelling to my name! lol Must be jet-lag!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.