Sep 22, 2010

Cowgirl Weekend or Bust!

At this time tomorrow, I'll be in northern Nebraska setting up camp with about 20 other women for our annual Cowgirl Weekend. Once a year, we ditch the men and kids in our life, load up our favorite horse and head to the sticks. My friend, Kathy, founded Cowgirl Weekend about a dozen years ago. She knew too many women who reliedon their husbands to transport them and their horse to trails and camping and to do the work. She felt women should become more independent with regards to their horse and this hobby. Among other things, at a minimum, we should be able to drive our own rigs farther than the end of our driveway.

(Ask Kathy how that trailer backing thing is working for her...)

Cowgirl Weekend has evolved through the years. Not only are we are now those independent women that Kathy hoped we would be, but a circle of friends who get together collectively once a year and do what we love to do: ride horses.

I'm told we MIGHT be able to get cell phone service if we ride up to the tallest hill around camp. I won't miss it. But I will miss being online. I probably won't lug my laptop to the top of the hill hoping to get a signal, thus I'll be offline for most of those 4 days. I am going through withdrawals already! I'll miss reading my favorite blogs.

Until then....

We are east bound & down..... loaded up and truckin'.

Really, west bound, but that isn't how the song goes, is it?

(Burt Reynolds was on Biography last night & got me yearning for a black Trans Am. )

I'll catch you on the flip-flop. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! Have an excellent time and can't wait to hear about it when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "drive my own rig" Sounds like something I NEED to learn to do!

    It sounds like a wonderful time. Have fun!!

    Maybe I'll get to join all of you one of these times... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish I was going! have lots of fun. and relax!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving my own horse trailer is something I had on my list of things I wanted to do this year.

    Oh well, I'm just grateful I got back in the saddle and rode again, and again. And even bought a new horse, too.
    And if anyone had asked me last year if I'd be riding in Competitive Trail Rides this year, I'd have thought they were crazy...and I've already ridden in 3 of them this year, and plan to ride in two more this month....if my horse is healed by then. sigh.

    A weekend camped out in a snazzy trailer like yours, with just my fellow cowgirl friends to hang out with, sounds sublime!

    Enjoy!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.