Sep 5, 2010

I’m Ready To Go


All my tack is packed; I'm ready to go….

Yesterday, I spent most of the afternoon going through the garage, the shed and the tack room of the barn looking for where I dumped the tack and camping supplies from my big trailer when I abruptly sold it. Some of the tack I never used for years, I was fortunate enough to sell at the horse auction last month, but there are still those things I like to have with me. Most of my personal riding gear is in my little trailer.



I cleaned out the aluminum toolbox that we sometimes put on the truck and was thrilled that I could get all the grills, fencing equipment, camp chairs and other miscellaneous equipment stored there and still have room to spare. I have learned that half of what I had stored in my big trailer, I didn't need. So that has been kind of a cleansing to not have all this "stuff" to try to find a place for.



I put the saddles on regular saddle racks in the storage area in front of each horse stall. The horse's feed bags will hang over the saddles. In time, I want to have an aluminum tray to fold down over the saddles to keep them separated, but for this short trip, it will work okay. I won't need to feed the horses in the trailer and they are not ones to fuss with stuff. But just in case, I didn't put my good leather saddle there; I left it in the small trailer. I hung up a saddle rack on one of the tack room doors and John screwed on a Rumber brush tray I had bought online.



For now, John nailed together some slats and we inserted under the breast bars. This will keep the tack separate from the horse stalls. It slid in nicely under the stall divider, so it is firmly in place and can't fall. I'm lukewarm about it. I know we need a divider, but this one is not easy to move around; I'll have to lift the stall divider to remove it. Not heavy, but awkward if I am by myself. But again, to get us there and back this first trip out, it will work fine. I'm surprised at how much room I really do have once it is all put together. In a way, I am glad I had that time waiting for repairs to put it all together in my head without just cramming stuff in there last minute.


Since Case and a friend are going with us today, we will take both rigs. We are only going 20 miles, so no big deal. Yesterday, the farrier noticed Blue has a cut on the bulb of his back foot. He'll make the trip, but not sure how much riding he'll actually do. He's not lame on it and if I can slip a boot on it, it should help protect it.

Speaking of lame, yesterday - for no apparent reason - I fell down the basement stairs. One second I am walking and the next, I am airborne. I saved myself after about 4 or 5 steps and luckily the stairs are carpeted and I didn't hit my tailbone that just healed this past spring after a year of pain! But today my ankle is tender and I can only guess as a result of this klutzy move. It's hell to get old.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:54 AM

    Sorry about the fall! Ouch! Glad it wasn't any worse.

    I know what you mean about having too much stuff in a big trailer - I'm going to be selling mine and I've got a lot of cleaning out to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, be careful. I fell a couple of years ago when I thought there was another step and there wasn't. You wouldn't think that you would fall, since there was no step, but I did. I hit the landing hard. I guess our feet are going faster than our brain. Trailer looks great! have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're all set for a good time. Enjoy yourself. And try to stay upright for the trip.(just kidding). Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! We have some hard steps, a fall could be pretty bad. Time to get religious about hand rails.

    I admire your work on clearing things out! I am going through that cleaning out process in life in general. The trailer looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that you fell and hurt yourself!! I am pretty lucky that I can stay on my own two feet. Even if my dogs run into me at full speed, I somehow manage to keep standing!
    That is great that you got everything in your trailer and are ready to go! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trailers are on my mind lately so it's interesting to see what you are doing with yours. I have a 3 horse slant load bumper pull and would like to go to a 2 horse gooseneck as I only have one horse now and would like the spot for sleeping when camping. I'm just hoping I don't buy something and then have my needs change all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can say that again.

    One time I was standing on a stool vacuuming up the hundreds of ladybugs that infested my old house, known as the Amityville Horror House, and all of a sudden the stool slipped out from under me and I flew up in the air and landed full force on my butt and lower back. Full force. I don't know how I didn't break anything because I saw stars. I thanked my lucky stars because my mother had osteoporosis and broke her hip the same age I was when I fell. I think I must have good bones, knock wood (thinking about your other post now, lol) because of being outside in the sun exercising with the horses.

    Have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.