Nov 29, 2008

First Snow


We woke up this morning to the first snowfall of the year here in Saunders County. Just a dusting, I’d say, but cold and damp nonetheless. It is, no doubt, the sign of things to come. Every day that clicks off the calendar now, is one day closer to spring. How is that for an optimistic viewpoint?

Hopefully this snow will be gone soon and I can finish the weekend off with a short ride. Yesterday, we put up a new round pen. Over time, our first round pen had shrunk when panels were needed for other fencing or corral projects. We now, once again, have a true 50’ round pen and I was anxious to work some with Black. On Wednesday, I rode him for a few hours at Two Rivers. It was the first I have ridden him for any length of time since I took a dive off him in September. It was a little scary getting on, but he didn’t disappoint me. I told my friend Robyn, that for a moment I forgot who I was riding as I found myself relaxing as we trudged through the woods.


As I am nearing my riding goal for 2008, I have been thinking about what I want to do for 2009. Not just time in the saddle – that comes easy, but what I want to accomplish while I’m in the saddle. A friend told me last night that I work too hard at trying to get a nice soft trot from my horse. And I have to agree. (I saw the video!) I see others who trot or lope the rail and in comparison, I am the proverbial sack of potatoes. I want that softness, that ease about it. I’m lucky to have access to a nice indoor facility and knowledgeable people who have accomplished all that and more. So there it is. By this time next year, I want to trot or lope the rail effortlessly. Sounds corny, but some things come more easily to some than others.

1 comment:

  1. You are not potatoes, you goofball. I've SEEN potatoes, and you don't qualify.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.