Oct 19, 2010

Sad, Sad Situation

Yesterday I had to pick Case up in town after school, so I didn't drive home my normal route. When I got home later that afternoon, the Horsetales list serv mentioned an accident involving a horse trailer near a major intersection on my usual route. Apparently, a trailer came loose from the truck and went into traffic, hitting an oncoming vehicle. The chatter on Horsetales mentioned a horse lying on the side of the road, life flight transporting victims, possibly a child ejected from a vehicle. Yes, just another traffic accident but it hit close to home because so many of us frequently pull our own horse trailers.

The ten o'clock news reported three people were taken to the hospital and one had died. No names were released. Although we live near a major metropolitan area, the horse community is small. I worried that the person driving the rig was someone I knew, a horse I had shared a trail with. I know people who live in the area and prayed they weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time and were the ones who were hit. When the names were released this morning, I found I didn't know either family. But felt their pain.

The driver of the rig, a woman, was uninjured. Her horse severly injured was put down at the scene. I was told it was still there this morning, off the side of the road. The man driving the car that was hit survived; his 9 year-old son was in critical condition and his 10 year-old-daughter died at the hospital. The news reported that none of those injured were wearing seatbelts. The father of those children is, no doubt, going through his own private hell. And I'll leave it at that.

Keeping this horse related, the news reports did not mention if the trailer had safety chains. It's easy to assume there weren't any, but after reading some stories online (http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/ ), it's possible that although chains may be required, it might not be a primary offense, so a person cannot be stopped for this offense alone. This same website also said that some states that require chains, do not specify the weight of the chain, so many trailers are ill equipped. In other words, if you see a trailer behind a truck, you just don't know how safe it really is. (Update: a recent news story quotes the Nebraska State Patrol as saying safety chains were in place on the horse trailer.)

While it is easy to questions the decisions made by all those involved, it is important also to remember that accidents happen. We get hurried, sidetracked and sometimes just plain mess up. I know. It happened to me. You might remember when I had a similar accident. I was pulling two horses in my two-horse straight load steel trailer. It was negligence on my part that my trailer was not secured properly. I was distracted when hooking it up and I didn't check my work. My hitch wasn't locked in place. I hit a railroad track going about 50 mph and the trailer popped off the receiver ball. I felt it first and saw what happened in my rear view mirror and immediately started to slow the truck. When the trailer hit the back of my truck, bounced back and hit the truck again, I knew the chains had caught it and was carrying the estimated 4,500 pound load; keeping my horses, other traffic and me safe. I managed to keep it all together until I could get off the road. After yesterday's incident, I wonder if I shouldn't have them checked again. There was some wear; perhaps they were compromised.

I am sad for all involved. I hope I'm not the only horse person thinking about this and if our trailers are safe for not only our horse, but others on the road. Be safe, everyone.

12 comments:

  1. Horrific and so tragic :(

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very sad. I'm always reminding folks to cross their chains underneith to hopefully catch and cradle the trailer tongue if it pops off the ball on our bumper pull trailers. And the chains should connect to something OTHER than the hitch on the truck. If the hitch breaks and comes off, so will the chains

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so sad to read this. For everyone concerned. regarding the horse trailers: We are specifically limited in speed when towing. 60mph on a freeway, 50 on a normal road, and we are forced by law to have brakes on the trailers, plus a steel rope link to the car, so that if the trailer becomes detached, the trailer brakes are applied. The Ball hitches are "safe locked" and the requirement now is for anyone who has obtained a driving licence since 1998? has to take a trailer test.
    We still read about trailer accidents, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:49 AM

    Very sad for all concerned. My trailer, as it's large, is required to have a twice-year safety inspection. Small trailer are not - but they should be. My trailer, which is a Featherlite, has two heavy-duty chains and a breakaway which triggers the trailer brakes in the event the hitch breaks, allowing the trailer to stay straight and not run into the truck. Fortunately, I've never so far had a broken hitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary, scary! My hubby always presses upon us to make sure everything is done and recheck things! But you are right accidents happen that is why they are accidents. So, sad though. Just like if all belts were worn, a life might of been safed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a tragic accident. We've got some heavy duty chains on our trailer and it's the one thing I always check before pulling out. I feel so bad for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrible tragedy indeed! No seat belts too. Sad on all parts.

    I see people pulling trailers driving at breakneck speeds all the time. I admit it, trailering scares the bejesus out of me. Too many things can go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad and very scary. I'm continually amazed at some of the rides I've been to when folks arrive pulling a camper trailer behind their pickup, with a bumper-pull trailer hitched on behind. There's no way to see the trailer back there. It's legal, in SD at least, but not very safe.

    One elderly gentleman with a lovely pony team who arrived in just that fashion told us he'd had a bad experience involving arriving at his destination only to discover that his horse trailer wasn't there. Thankfully, that story had a happy ending, with the missing trailer upright having ended up in a plowed field only a mile or so back down the road, the ponies inside without a scratch. Still made me sick to think about what could have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Horrible. An absolute nightmare for everyone involved. Hopefully others will learn from this and prevent future accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is terrible!!
    I am so sorry for the family and for that poor horse.

    I am terrible to take anywhere as I require those who attempt to take me and my mare to know that the trailer brakes work,floorboads have been checked that year and have all the right pins and chains & such...
    though sometimes,
    accidents do still happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this in our local paper, such a sad situation. It was really a reminder that you should always double check yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stories like that bring up horseowners worst nightmares. So tragic. I know I forgot to lock my hitch once but luckily didn't go over any bumps. A trailer hitch up checklist might be in order.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.