Jul 16, 2011

Buck

EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT WEDNESDAY.  HEAT INDEXES ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM 105 TO 112 DEGREES EACH DAY... WITH OVERNIGHT HEAT INDEXES AROUND 80.
 
Yeah.  No riding here.  I did see my herd once yesterday and they were sweating while grazing.  I’m only going out as a means of getting from here to there.  There being any place that is air conditioned.

buck_poster2

Since we canceled our camping trip due to the sweltering heat, a few of us decided to go see Buck last night.  From the website, the film was “created to move people to make changes in how they deal with horses and life's challenges.”  The movie “follows Buck from his abusive childhood to his phenomenally successful approach to horses.” 
 
I don’t think it matters what discipline you follow; it isn’t a “how to” movie.  It was really was a movie about a man and his relationship with horses and what brought him to where he is today.  The movie was filmed at locations that provided a beautiful backdrop for the horses it showcased.  Buck has a pretty dry sense of humor; some parts were pretty funny.  There were others parts of the movie that had us digging in our purse for a Kleenex. 
 
The supporting characters were people just like you and me who love horses and are trying to do what is best for them.  And one, in particular, will have you scratching your head and asking “why?”  Or maybe more aptly, “WTF?”
 
Although appreciated most by horse lovers, it is the kind of movie that your non-horse loving spouse or friend could probably appreciate for the story itself.  It is showing in limited markets, so you’ll need to check the calendar on the website for locations.

7 comments:

  1. Wished I could have seen it too, but couldn't sit that long right now.

    It was funny to read the Dec 09 blog on how cold it was that winter compared to this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`ll have to wait till it comes over here! Or on DVD......Looks a damn good film though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great, and yes, that one horse was certainly so sad. I found his way of being so much like Mark Rashid, it made me think that I have to find that place within me too.

    Our horses are ready for Summer to be done, they are sweating their coats off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing great reviews about that movie. Will have to check it out.
    We haven't even started summer yet here. I am starting to wonder if we will even get one this year. It's been raining all week. But I am thankful we do not get heat like you. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you guys are really getting hit with the hot temps. We're only about 90 here. I'm staying inside as much as possible too, had to change three time yesterday because I was soaking every time I came in from the barn chores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Went and saw Buck yesterday and really enjoyed it. I look forward to reading his books and adding pieces of what I read/saw/heard to my equine toolbox. Good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never heard of that movie. Sounds good. Hope it comes around here.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.