Sep 17, 2011

A Time To Heal

riding ginger

This was the weekend I was packing for my big trip:  Cowgirl Weekend:  The Extended Version.  To celebrate my 50th birthday (last March), rather than a four-day weekend, some of us were leaving early and making it a week long trip.  And to give Windy a little break, I planned to bring both her and Ginger.  What a difference a day makes. 

My travel plans aren’t changing; I’m still leaving on Monday.  But the journey will be a bit different now.  It will now be just Windy and me. 

I went out to the trailer and readied it now for one horse instead of two.  Although both horses could wear the same saddle, I won’t be needing Ginger’s saddle pad.  Or her bridle.  I touched her fly mask and remembered the last time she had worn it.  I’ll keep it in the trailer; Windy can wear it.  There are things that will be put away for keepsakes and other things that will be used in remembrance of her. 

bath 020

While she was being treated for colic, I’d combed out her beautiful red tail with Show Sheen.  It glistened.  I told the female vet that I would like my hair colored to match the colors in her tail.  She agreed it was quite pretty.  What else would she say?  When we knew we had to let her go, I asked the vet to clip her tail for me but not until she died.  I didn’t want her to die without her tail. I put it away for now.  Someday I’ll hold it in the sun again. 



I had hoped to post to my blog the stories of the trail on this upcoming trip.  But the road I am taking is no longer a celebration.  It’s a time for healing.  To be with my good horse and Ginger’s only baby, Windy.  And surround myself with friends who knew my good mare and understand this will be the toughest ride I have been on for a long time.  
.

12 comments:

  1. Your post makes me so sad for you right now. Such a huge loss. I can't imagine how hard it would be to go without the horse that you've had for so long.
    Her tail is beautiful. I'm glad you kept some. Have a safe trip and heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger's tail is beautiful and I'm glad you got to keep some of it. Perhaps you can have a braided bracelet or other memento made from it. This will be a hard trip without her but you have her daughter Windy to take you down the trails. Have a nice ride with your friends who knew Ginger. This will be a healing time for you and her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Tammy. You are brave to go. Ride your Windy mare in thanks and rememberance of her red momma.

    Thinking of you have the best time you can~
    ;)
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurting here reading your post. So very sad. How lucky you are to have her Windy. I hope she will comfort you. Nothing can comfort like horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I'm sitting here crying. You conveyed your love and heartbreak for Ginger. I could feel it and I'm sad too.

    I'm so glad you thought to take some of her tail. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful tail, and a beautiful horse! Once again, I am so sorry. Ride for Ginger, even if it is in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved and beautiful Ginger! My heart aches for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry. I know how it hurts. I lost Scout's mother when she was seven and he was only two. I cried for the unfairness of it all- she had so many more years to give. Cherish your memories and enjoy your ride on Windy...and heal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How truly sad, I feel for you. I hope your ride gives you and Windy both some healing time together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As the tears roll I am sending you healing thoughts for a wonderful ride, full of memories, and love for your beautiful Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I took a trip to TC, and I didn't heal. Only time will heal. I had a friend cut the tail, and it is still laying where I put it. I can't stand the thought of another horse wearing the halter. Time heals some things. I think time will tell when some things are used and some things aren't. The blankets have been on other horses. Time does heal. I felt that my heart was about to break, and now I realize, that place is where all the special memories are. hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.