Oct 10, 2011

The Dance

 

baseball misc horses 164

 

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared beneath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance.

 

Did I tell you about the last ride I had on Ginger?  It was a week before she died (gosh, its still so hard to say that.)  I went to ride with the Platte River Riders on the Oak Creek Trail near my home.  I always consider that trail “my trail” because our Trails Committee made it; cleared all 14 miles of it for horse trail riders.  Anyway, I was on my trail and I could (and have) rode that trail in the dark; I know it so well.

 

I had a terrible headache that night and almost didn’t go.  But it was so close to home and I knew once I was out, I would feel better.  After we crossed the first bridge, Ginger put on her walking shoes and we were moving.  Before long, I could no longer hear the other riders behind me, nor did I care.  I was in my own little world. 

 

FB Post

 

That evening as I was riding Ginger, I posted on Facebook, “There are days I just love the red mare. Today is one of those.” And the moments later after a quick sprint across an open area, I said, “She is a different horse when I ride her. Just had the most beautiful 22 mph lope, head down, relaxed. You'd never believe its John's hell bitch. :).”

 

When I was about five miles out, I realized I didn’t have much daylight left and needed to get back.  When I reached that open area, the moon was starting to rise.  It was dark.  I have never known a more sure-footed horse; I kissed her into a run.  Have you ever ran a horse in the dark?  It was exhilarating!  I’ll never forget that ride.  And like the song says, “I’m glad I didn’t know, the way it all would end…. I could have missed the pain but I’d have had to miss the dance.”  This was our last dance and it is a wonderful memory. 

 

I haven’t wrote her official obituary yet.  I will; I owe her that.  One day I will sit down at the computer and it will come easily.  But not yet.

 

Vacation 2008 135

 

Blue and Butter used to be part of The A Team.  When we were all riding, they were who the kids would ride.  In shape (well, kind of) and ready to go. 

 

Blueboy

 

As the kids rode less and less, they kind of slipped to The B Team.  When I pulled them out last week to start putting some time on either/or, I realized just how grossly out of shape Blue really is and in addition, may need to be adjusted.  Riding him was like going over a washboard!

 

Butterbutt

 

And Butter-butt?  Well, at first she just had a bad attitude which she has carried around for the last year or so, but when riding her, I also felt something a bit off.  I lunged her and couldn’t see anything.  Then when John rode her the next day, he noticed her off right away.  A vet visit later, she is being treated for an abscess.  So both of The B Team have been demoted to The C Team. 

 

baby dd

 

Just for the fun of it, I got out who I refer to as The DD Team:  Baby.  Ah, yeah.  I don’t see her moving up in the ranks any time soon. 

 

We went horse shopping this weekend.  We never found anything but didn’t really expect to yet.  It’s just the first step.  Although its fun to shop, I hate the reason why. 

4 comments:

  1. You have one last beautiful memory of Ginger. The Dance brought a lump to my throat. It's so hard to lose them.

    I'm sure your B team will come around. In the meantime it's fun to shop, but you're right the reason is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song. Interestingly - when I gave a foal and her pony Mama to a good friend because her kid's pony had died, I missed those two ponies so much - this became my song for them. I still tear up when I hear it.

    I am so sorry that Ginger is gone. Your posts about her help the rest of us remember that we could loose our equines anytime too. You make me hug my herd a little bit closer.

    And I send you a cyber ((hug)) as a fellow horse lover who understands how hard this has been for you. Bless you my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that song! Who sings it? What beautiful words.

    Well, you know, no horse is ever going to take Ginger's place. You may have an "opening" at the farm. That's what I call it when I lose an animal and I have room for another one. And maybe a stall will get filled or a saddle will be used again and we will love another animal. But there will always be a special spot in our hearts for the one we lost. Our hearts just get bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments about Sunny, and I hope you find exactly what you're looking for wrapped in the same shiny sorrel shade.

    Oddly enough, the first time I took Sunny to a show I came back from a trip to the bathroom to find a young boy with his arms wrapped around Sunny's neck. My Sunny, who was only two at the time, and a bit leary of strangers since they usually came disguised as the vet.

    The boy's father was standing nearby, and as I approached he touched my arm and told me that his son had lost his horse to a bad colic just that weekend. Sunny looked just like him. He asked if Sunny was for sale - I was teary, I'll admit when I shook my head at his question. No, my then two-year-old pony wasn't for sale, but I've always hoped they found another horse for the boy who so missed his own.

    Red isn't everyone's favorite color - Sunny's breeder still says he's too commonly marked and she'd love to see him any other color. I'm kind of partial, myself :)

    Greener Pastures is so right - you may find another horse to make new memories with, but that will never take away from the lovely memories you already have.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.