Apr 26, 2012

Spring Coats



Caught this shot of Windy out in the pasture the other day.  She is completely shed out now although she could still use a good bath.  The temps have been running between the mid-60's and 90 lately; one morning there was frost in the lower pastures which normally wouldn't be unexpected in April except this year has been so different.  Our alfalfa is ready to cut; unfortunately planting season is starting, too.  I hope our neighbor who cuts the alfalafa will be able to squeeze it in soon.




I took some more "after" pictures of Fancy the other day but haven't been at the computer with the "before" pictures on long enough to do a compare.  I think being out on pasture has helped her weight.  Her coat is starting to look a little better but nothing like Windy's.  I'm hoping I'll see more of an improvement after a few weeks on pasture. 

I have ride plans this weekend; was planning on making it a long one but storms are rolling in tomorrow.  Saturday and Sunday are suppose to be nice so hoping it can be salvaged.  Two weeks until McCain's graduation.  Lots to do to get ready but dang, I need some down time.  Horses are my therapy. 

.

7 comments:

  1. I want to know how Windy keeps her figure, on fulltime pasture??! Cooper looks like a cartoon balloon-drawing horse, and he is on a diet of 4 hours a day--total--of pasture. And that's his entire daily ration. Even riding hours per week, he stays fat. I need to find some skinny TB's to eat this grass down. Remind me to NOT look for 'easy keepers' next time I look for a horse..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering Windy & Blue are on the same pasture and we know what his belly looks like, I would have to say it is Derby miles that keeps Windy fit! Wish it would work for me!

      Delete
  2. I wish my horses were completely shed out. That won't be until about mid-May around here.
    Windy looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. She certainly does look good this year. I was looking at Chance over on your blog and she certainly is coming into herself this year. You have done fantastic with her!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure how Bullet is comparing either. I switched his grain and increased it and I still think he looks a little ratty. But not sure. Have to compare some pics.

    Is McCain graduating middle school or high school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi - McCain is graduating High School this year. My first. :)

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.