May 13, 2012

The Graduation

 

IMG_7102

 

It’s Sunday morning.  The Big Weekend which took 18 years to arrive is finally over.  I have one child through high school.  Graduated.  An adult, according to his drivers license.  Still a child in my eyes.  Relieved, nostalgic, sad, happy… lots of emotions; all of them good. 

 

IMG_7068

 

We had the party at our home.  A few times I questioned myself on that decision but really, wouldn’t have had it any other way.  We have a big old farm house and entertain very seldom.  Someone asked if we were having it in the garage.  Hell, no!  If I’m going to clean for company, I’m certainly not going to waste my time in the garage!  Our house is plenty roomy and with the covered porch and deck, even if it rained (it didn’t), we would have plenty of room for everyone.

 

IMG_7063

 

Horse related?  My riding buddies, Kathy and Tanya, took decorating to a whole new level.  When they asked what they could do to help, I gave them carte blanche with decorating.  They bought streamers and signs and table clothes and put it all together in a way I never could have imagined.  And I love them for it!  My sister was here to help where I needed; she thought perhaps we should go have our feet done the day before.  Huh?  Bless her heart for thinking of me but there is no time for that at T-minus zero hours. 

 

IMG_7121

 

IMG_7128

 

IMG_7167

 

After pictures, we headed to the school a little early for photographer/class pictures.  Here is where I was a little sad.  McCain went to our local Catholic School until mid year his Junior year.  When he decided to no longer play sports, his friendships waned.  He was very unhappy and it was showing academically.  I made him a deal; if he got his grades up, he could transfer to the public school mid year.  So for the last 1.5 years, he has attended public school.  While a good school with good teachers and a supportive community, not unlike our Catholic school, none of the kids that he grew up with, that we knew were there.  So it was kind of sad to have lost the 11 years of history he had while growing up.

 

IMG_7175

 

The party was a huge success.  I didn’t take many pictures because I was too busy talking.  Family on both sides, friends from the early days, horse friends, church friends and neighbors all brought together to celebrate this milestone in our son’s life.  I counted seventy adults that I could recall; I couldn’t begin to count the kids. 

 

IMG_7176

 

We didn’t run out of food; but close.  Most of the guests were gone before eleven, so it wasn’t a late night.  Other than removing decorations and doing up the serving dishes, there isn’t much clean-up that needs done.  The place still looks nice.   

 

IMG_7189

 

What’s next?  In a few weeks, he will be moving in with one of the families from his church and starting a summer job in their business doing landscaping.  An internship, of sorts.  Then in August, he’s enrolled in Grace University in Omaha.  Lots of changes going on around here; all good, but bittersweet.  This is what we raise them for, right? 

 

IMG_7199

 

Being one that left home a week after I graduated from high school, I can certainly understand his excitement and desire to move on.  As a mom, it makes me sad but as a parent, I am ready.  Does that make sense? 

 

This morning I’ll get those pesky dishes done and hopefully find a little horse time. 

 

IMG_7108

 

One down, one to go. 

 

.

4 comments:

  1. You know I love your house.

    Why did he want to change to the public school if all his friends were at the Catholic school?

    I just realized that Kelly has two years of high school left and then I'm pretty much done raising children. Technically. I never thought it would bother me. I thought I'd relish the freedom. But I know what you mean. It's kind of sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your whole family! That's gotta be so exciting and so sad, all at once.

    PS I love the girl wearing hot pink cowboy boots in the first group photo. Rock on, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is great! He is one cute dude! Love his locks.
    His summer plans sound worthy and its like a trial run before college...but wow, its happening fast!

    Your house is beautiful, perfect decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got caught up on your blog last week, but internet issues on my end wouldn't let me comment so I came back today to say I loved what you did for your party. Your house looks terrific (so smart to have it indoors during iffy May weather) and congrats to ALL of you.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.