Jan 12, 2013

When I Don’t Ride

 

I haven’t been riding.  Last January, I had already logged 50 miles in the Distance Derby and this year, I haven’t yet hit 10 miles.  Which is really the norm for January.  I could be riding, I guess.  Our weather hasn’t been terribly bad; alternating between freezing and melting.  But the footing is poor.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 

 

snow 039

 

To keep myself and others entertained, I have been periodically posting photo challenges on Facebook and Horsetales.  A bit selfish on my part, as I am really digging this new camera and it gives me a chance to show off what I can do (which really isn’t much yet) and it’s helping me learn along the way.  The above photo was an old building challenge.  I went to town to get gas and took the long way home and saw this old corn crib out yonder.  It was snowing that day and in some of the shots you can see the flakes. 

 

 

Another day we went out and photographed old farm equipment.  I adjusted the color after I took the picture.  I’m getting pretty bored with all the white snow pictures.  This picture was taken from the back of my horse using my Canon point & shoot camera.  I need to get a pommel bag ready so I can take the new camera. 

 

Barnyard 038

 

Another day we did sunrise and/or sunset pictures.  Those are easy for me.  I’m an early riser and my office has an east window so the sunrise always catches my attention.  I think someday I am going to have to make a calendar or photo collage of my sunrises and give to my neighbor who’s farm is at the bottom of the hill and always featured in my sunrise shots.

 

snow 009

 

The sunset did not disappoint me either.  I had other shots where the sky was more prominent but I liked the branches up front in this one. 

 

snow 090

 

But my favorite shots are those which are horse related.  One day we took pictures of our horses in their “winter splendor” which isn’t saying much.  My horses’ coats are dry and their manes gnarly.  Winter has certainly come home in my corrals.   I loved the frost on the trees behind the horses and snow on Fancy’s nose.  It looks like she just rubbed it on Windy’s back. 

 

sunrises 081

 

On this day, our assignment was a snow picture.  I went to the barn early and liked that the sky and the snow were just about the same color.  The sun was just coming up; you can see its reflection along the fenceline.  Blue looked stunning against the blue tones of the sky and field.  We know Blue isn’t necessarily a stunning horse; he wore it well. 

 

corral 130a

 

This weekend we are tasked to capture the eyes of our horse.  Four hundred and eighty two shots later, I did find a few I liked.  This is Fancy.  It’s not hard to make her look pretty.  I love the contrasting color of her forelock.  Not quite flaxen, but enough of a change to catch your eye. 

 

corral 065a

 

This is Blue.  Boy, he gets two pictures in here this time.  I mentioned on Horsetales that I wasn’t sure if he was looking toward me or away from me when I took this picture.  I think I may have been at his side shooting away from him but I’m just not sure. 

 

Barnyard 098

 

And just because the “most photographed horse” can’t always take a good picture, I caught Windy with her mouth open. 

 

.

10 comments:

  1. I do like the"eye" shot, says it all for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful..... The old farm equipment photo is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED all your pictures. The sunset is my favorite.

    50+

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures, especially the sunsets they are just absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janette9:00 AM

    I don't ride in bad weather either. I love your pictures, I need to start taking more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:21 PM

    Love the picture of Fancy's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:22 PM

    I love your pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic
    I really envy you much much
    going to steal your wonderful pic soon
    It ia fortune to come across your blog
    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic
    I really envy you much much
    going to steal your wonderful pic soon
    It ia fortune to come across your blog
    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the photographer has done an outstanding job of capturing the "moments"! So Beautiful - makes me homesick~

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.