Dec 24, 2013

I Wish

 

tanya

 

Whenever I am home for an extended period of time, I dream about what it would be like to win the lottery.  I don’t want to say “retire” because I don’t want to tack a dozen years to my current age but wouldn’t it be nice to not “have to” go in to work? 

 

I always laugh when people say “if I win the lottery, I wouldn’t give up my job”.  Really?  Time is our most valuable asset.  With that forty hours a week, I can think of so many more things I would rather be doing than what I do today!  Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful I have a good job and if I didn’t like what I do, I wouldn’t have been doing it for 28 years.  But if I didn’t have to punch the clock, I could find so many other opportunities in my “spare time”. 

 

1011362_10151774638512150_1779314407_n

 

We’d spend summers in the low humidity, mountain states – Colorado, Wyoming or Montana. John could build us a cabin somewhere because he would not be able to sit still and I would furnish and decorate it.  I’ve learned from having a big farm house that big isn’t necessarily better.  Comfortable is more important.  We’d have a lovely barn and access to trails that we only dreamed of exploring. 

 

In the winter, we would become snowbirds.  Arizona, California, Texas, and the Carolinas would be at the top of the list.  Live out of the trailer or find a rental so we are free to try another place the next year. 

 

1015284_10151762196602150_1438599088_o

 

There would be no fleet of foreign vehicles nor would we own a sports team.  (A racehorse perhaps?)   Our biggest expense would be “retiring” our closest riding buddies.  I couldn’t hit the trails without them!  And if my brother or sister is reading this, I would retire them, too, so they could come visit.  

 

394

 

I’d hire two trainers:  one for myself to kick my butt into shape and one for my horses.  Wouldn’t it be cool to have a trainer come to you rather than having to haul somewhere (my ass and the horses?)  I’d also have a housekeeper because I mentioned before that time is our greatest asset and cleaning house myself would be just plain silly!   

 

On cold winter days, I would sleep late with a pack of dogs at my feet.  Oh, wait.  There wouldn’t be cold winter days because I would be somewhere warm!  

 

This time of year especially, we read a lot more about people and animals in need.  Wouldn’t it be great to be able to provide assistance on a grander scale?  While organized charities and rescues have their place and are important, wouldn’t it be cool to be able to help a person keep their animals if at all possible?  That is what I would like to explore. 

 

It is fun to dream. 

 

sunrise 2_20 010

 

But truly, I am blessed with a good family, good health, good job, a warm home and beautiful Nebraska sunrises out my window every morning.  I have that pack of dogs on my feet in the morning and a small herd of horses that I see from my kitchen window.  We have a cupboard full of food and a barn full of hay.  We have a small fleet of vehicles to get us to work and to play.  And I am never short a friend. 

 

Merry Christmas everyone.  May all your dreams come true. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes...I have that very same dream myself. :) I am thankful that we have all that we need, and more...but time is our greatest gift. And like you, I often dream of how many better ways I could be spending it. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your wishes. Dreams fuel life. Keep enjoying yours! Merry Christmas Tammy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Tammy! May your wishes come true this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're never short a friend. Remember what Clarence said to George Bailey: "No man is a failure who has friends."

    I like what you said about helping someone keep their animals. I just said that on Grey Horse Matters' blog. I suggested that if you know of a struggling family, bring them over a few bags of grain. It's a great, direct way to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. Brian and I joke about needing a 'lifestyle sponsor' so we can just devote ourselves more fully to our hobbies. If we figure out how to get one, we'll let you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.