Feb 24, 2010

Horse Scents


As I have been working on rebuilding Horsetrailriders.com: The Website, I have been reading old posts I wrote for the Stable Talk page. I especially liked this one and it is so fitting right now.

February 28, 2004: Horse Scents

Until this past weekend, January 24th was the last day I had my butt in a saddle. If you recall from my prior Stable Talk, Kathy Newberg and I rode in the cold! When I got home that day, I left my saddle in the trailer. Not unusual during the riding season, but in winter, I prefer to have it inside.

Then the storms hit. Our trailer was drifted in. Every now and then when I was tucked away warm in the house, I thought about my saddle – how I hated to leave it out there. I hoped the trailer wasn’t mysteriously springing a leak and my saddle falling victim to water damage. I would think about my saddle as I pulled out of the driveway to work each morning and think, “tonight I’ll bring it in”. I never did.

This morning I was home when John was leaving for work. For some reason, I thought about my saddle and asked if he would rescue it for me. (What a trooper that John is. I should of thought of him earlier!) I heard him come back in the house with it and never leaving my desk, hollered at him asking if it was okay. It was fine – no worse for the wear, he said. He put it in the corner by the stairs and I didn’t think any more about it.

After finishing my work, I headed down the stairs to the rec room. Something stopped me in my tracks. In that moment - the smell - you know the one I mean. The wonderful smell of leather and horse overloaded my senses. And just for a moment, it was no longer February in Nebraska. The essence of that moment swept me off to warmer days! Is there anything else like it in the world?

5 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you are talkin' about! I had one woman come look at our house and in her comments to our realtor state that my mudroom in the basement "smelled". Duh! Silly city folks... They don't know heaven when they smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, just the other day I picked up my first saddle and took a good, long sniff. I've had it for over thirty years and when I got it, it was old. Found it in a neighbor's garage, under a pile of junk, covered in green mold and cobwebs. I bought it for twenty dollars, my babysitting money, and nursed it back to health with Ivory soap and Vaseline. It has a unique smell. They don't make leather like that anymore. Whenever I get a whiff of it, it takes me back to when I was 16-years-old and thought I was the luckiest girl in the world to have that saddle. And the pony who I bought it for.

    I'm okay. Thanks for asking. See my latest post. Also, I'm trying to cut back on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I really loved this older post Tammy!Perfect!
    KacyK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:56 PM

    Someone deleted a variety of links from share-rapid and filefactory servers.

    From now, we will use www.tinyurlalternative.com as our main [url=http://www.tinyurlalternative.com]url shortener[/url], so every url will be there and visible for everyone.

    You can pick out from several great [url=http://kfc.ms]short url[/url] address like:

    kfc.ms easysharelink.info jumpme.info megauploadlink.info megavideolink.info mygamelink.info myrapidsharelink.info mytorrentlink.info myurlshortener.com mywarezlink.info urlredirect.info urlshrinker.info weblinkshortener.com youtubelink.info and many others.

    They have over 60 other ready domains and the [url=http://myurlshortener.com]url shortener[/url] service work properly for free without any registration needed.

    So we think it is good notion and suggest you to use [url=http://urlredirect.info]url redirect[/url] service too!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a nice smell in the middle of winter. Not so nice in August after a day of hauling crud home from County Fair in the back of the Suburban. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.