Jul 4, 2010

Frame It!


Happy 4th of July! There is rain in these parts this morning. I won’t complain. We just got done haying, so the fields need the moisture. The parties that go with the holiday aren’t my thing. So I’ll take advantage of a down day and get clothes packed for vacation. In less than a week, we will be heading west to ride in the Medicine Bow National Forest in the Cheyenne/Laramie, Wyoming area. This is kind of a bittersweet vacation because my oldest son has decided to forgo the family vacation for his job and detassling corn. Now the thought of leaving a 16-year-old home alone scares the bejeezes out of me, so I’ve enlisted the help of my brother (who wrote the book on teen craziness) and my niece (who is home safely from Iraq), so he won't truly be home alone. More on the vacation in the days to come.

This week’s Sunday Stills challenge is “Frame It”; a photo that is framed by something. I have found that I frequently do try to frame my subject into something natural in the picture. Keeping it horse related, here are my contributions to the challenge.


This picture of Butter and Blue was taken on the trail to Harney Peak in South Dakota.


This is my friend Kathy on Zuni, taken at Two Rivers.


I liked how the trees framed this picture of Vic, on Deacon, along the Oak Creek Trail.


And this shot was taken in our pasture.


This was taken from our driveway looking out to the west pasture. The maple trees framing Butter and Baby are on the driveway side of the fence.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Nice work! I especially like the one of your friend, Kathy. The way the trees form a "V" is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great selections. I love the last shot, with the horses framed by the leaves.
    Yes, the head shot on my blog is Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:41 AM

    Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trees do make great frames, especially in their natural state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots, but the one of Vic is outstanding..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! Have a wonderful vacation and don't worry, he'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done :D I like the fourth one a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good selections, I like the V'd trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your vacation and send us some rain. It's been 5 weeks without a drop here and 100+ temps the last week. Ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it weird to take a "family" vacation and leave one at home? I did that last week and it was sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:57 AM

    Nice shots, i especially liked the one u took in two rivers

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fire works is so beautiful. Did you have lots of ut.

    The horse between the trees, it looks as though your friend Kathy kicked them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep reading about people going on trail riding vacations. I'm so jealous!

    Great photos. I like the first one with the horses in the trees the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the moon shot and the last one..well done! Have a great vacation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully done!

    You know, I just realized that your Butter looks a lot like the horse we're considering adopting, named Bella. She's got the same color in her body, mane and tail and the dun stripe, too.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.