Feb 10, 2013

Just Us Girls

 

CGW Dinner 045a

 

I just spent the afternoon with some of my nearest and dearest friends.  And the funny thing is, I didn’t know any of them a dozen years ago.  They all came into my life because of horses. 

 

Tammy M & Jules

Tammy M & Jules

 

Today I sat around the table with Tammy M, who introduced me to trail riding after she sold me a horse.  She stayed, the horse didn’t.  Then there is Jules, who I met through Joni and I’ve never told her this, but her spirit and quiet way has always reminded me of my mom which makes her so easy to be with and I tear up now just writing that.   

 

Joni & Kathy

Joni & Kathy

 

Joni, who is “the high school friend I never met” and if we had, we would have had so much fun and been in so much trouble!  Kathy, who put an ad in the paper asking for help building a horse trail to Loma.  We built it all right, but more importantly, we built a treasured friendship.

 

Me, Robyn & Tanya

Me, Robyn & Tanya

 

Then there is Robyn, who called me out of the blue about 10 years ago (that long already?) about a ride I was hosting and who gladly accepted a Mike’s Hard Lemonade from me following what was a harder ride than she bargained for.  Tanya, from my home town, who is not quite young enough to be my daughter but I’ll claim her as my baby sister.   

 

Sharron & Shari

Sharron & Shari

 

Sharron, whom I can’t remember ever meeting the first time but has always been there to share some fabulous riding trips.  I should also mention that her horse Boomer is the love of Windy’s life.  Really!   And Shari, who has not only taught me so much about distance riding, but has shared the trails with me in competition.  There were others around the long table who, if it weren’t for horses, I would not have met. 

 

Jessica

Jessica

 

We talked of Jessica’s impending marriage, we did a quick run down on our kids and grandkids.  We commiserated about our diets, jobs, hot flashes, cold weather and the winter doldrums.  We laughed about what some people (not us!) post on Facebook!  But most of all, we talked horse. 

 

Deb & Janelle

Deb & Janelle

 

At some time over the last twelve years, I have shared the trail with these women.  l know their horses’ names, breeds and ages better than I know their kids.  They cried with me when I lost Ginger and Maddie and Ritz and I cried with them when they lost Chivas and Chase, Dancer and Ol’ Red. 

 

Alice & Me

Alice & Me

 

We are the girls of Cowgirl Weekend.  A multi-generational bunch of women who each fall, leave our husbands and our kids and load up our ponies for an all horse (long) weekend.  We ride, we eat, we play games and yes, we have been known to sing a song or two.  And in the cold of winter, we play dress-up (kind of) and go to a fancy restaurant and relive those crisp autumn days all over again and plan for the next one.   

 

CGW Dinner 048

 

And then after we eat, we hit the local western store and drop a few bucks into the local economy. 

 

Life is good.

 

.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine a bit of planning went on too.

    Those boots are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story. Horses really are magic and bring so much to our lives. You are so fortunate to have made some life friends through your mutual love of horses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty new to your blog, but can I just say that this post right here, is one of the coolest posts I have ever seen. I say this because yes, it is about the horses, but it is also about the people we meet and the close friendships that grow along the way. I am a little bit envious, because here in WY I haven't quite found "that" yet. Although I am getting to know some people through a local club I have joined, and so maybe it is in the cards for me yet.
    Have you ever met a woman who says, "I get along better with men than women."? I have met a few and I always have to laugh inside because I know that they have no idea what they are missing. What I know beyond a shadow of a doubt: Men are great to have around, but when it really gets down to the nitty gritty, a woman will be the one to save your butt every single time!
    Thank you so much for sharing your evening with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your note, Cindy. And you are correct about the men vs women in our life. While I do appreciate having a man for a boss, my girlfriends have my back. :)

      Horses are my escape; my fun, my passion. I try to share it with those who feel the same way. The gals around the table with me are the best.

      I hope you find that in my new favorite state, Wyoming. I was riding there this past summer, visited some land we own that has been in the family for almost 100 years and decided that may just be where we retire. :)

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this post, Tammy. (And very envious I wasn't there..) You are right, the horse-friends we've made through a common passion are such a great blessing in our lives! Wow, I'm looking at most of these women and thinking, 'Hey, me too! I met her at [XYZ horse event]!'

    And I feel so lucky to be still counted as a friend, even across the country. Thank goodness you keep us all connected through your online stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so MANY time that you should be here with us, Sheila. :)

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.