Jan 4, 2014

Selfies

 

The Oxford Dictionary announced their choice of the 2013 Word of the Year as “Selfie”.  And if you don’t know what that is, you must not be on Facebook!  I have to admit that taking a picture of myself – smiling for myself – was rather weird the first few times.  But like those before me, I got the hang of it.

 

I think everyone in the Midwest is being hit with some sort of cold spell this weekend and most of us aren’t really going anywhere unless we have to.  Oh, there might be a few riders braving the cold, but I’m not one of them.  So I challenged my fellow Horsetalers to go visit their horse (or a horse) and in honor of the word of the year, take themselves a “selfie”.  I did mention that their pictures would be judged on quality and originality but I’m not sure how many caught that.  The entries started coming in.  Single shots, multiple shots, retakes.  What a fun few days!

 

I took the liberty of choosing one picture per person that I felt met the criteria and then I asked my Facebook friend, Photo By Jonni, to judge the finals.  

 

All riders are from Nebraska unless noted.  Here are the entries: 

 

 

angr1

^Annette (Texas)


 

ansa4

^Ann


 

artk1

^Arylce


 

brme1

^Brenda


 

cale1

^Carol


 

 

cata1

^Cheryl


 

cene3

^Cindy N


 

chst1

^Chanda


 

cone1

^Corie


 

CaTh1

^Cassie


 

erma1

^Erica


 

grah4

^Gretchen (Georgia)


 

jaca1

^Janet


 

jean3

^Jenny


 

jeva2

^Jessica


 

joja1

^Jodi


 

 

joma1

^Joni


 

juba1

^Julie B


 

saha1

^Sarah


 

jush1

^Julie S


 

juwa1

^Julie W


 

kakr1

^Katja


 

kamc1

^Kara


 

kane1

^Kathy


 

lafr1

^Leigh Ann


 

tbs1

^Terri


 

lome2

^Lori


 

maha1

^Mary


 

shch1

^Sheila (California)


 

shpa1

^Shari


 

shpr1

^Shelly


 

tava1

^Tammy


 

mian1

^Mike


 

shan1

^Sharron


 

 

Winner will be announced soon!  If you are visiting this site, what selfie is your favorite and why?  Your comments are welcome. 

5 comments:

  1. And the winner is.....

    From Jonni:

    "OK, judging is MUCH harder than I imagined it would be! Everyone had wonderful selfies who I would have complemented if they came up as a pic of friend on my Facebook thread. But, I was told to judge on quality and originality. So I tried to balance both of those in picking the winners.



    1st - Leigh Ann Fun, cute pic. Very original thru ears

    2nd- Shari Great selfie even without the horses. Nice shot of horses even without Shari.

    3rd- Brenda Love that they both have lovely smiles!

    Some honorable mentions:

    Tammy Best use of black and white. (can I make it a tie for 3rd?)

    Julie S. Fun angle that makes you look twice

    Arylce Best thought out wardrobe from glasses to halter

    Jenny and Sharron Best pics of horses who look disgusted they have to stand there as you take selfies

    Mike Best use of non typical horse body parts for selfie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super fun winter activity! Part of what inspired me to ride yesterday! I had to bundle up anyway so might as well invite a friend into the madness too! There are some wonderful shots here!

      Delete
  2. Agree wholeheartedly with Jonni's picks. One I thought deserving of honorable mention was Terri's - actually made me feel warm on these cold, cold days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few more comments as I browse thru these once again.

    I liked the one with Cassie took because she could not get her horse in the picture with her although he would stand with her friend, Sarah. I love her smile at that moment.

    Sharron's picture with Boomer just cracks me up. I know them both well and it really looks like Boomer is trying to get in the picture. I think he would prefer the picture be all him and his mom can just move out of the way, thus the ears!

    I think Chanda captured a moment with her horse. I think she may have been laughing. Great shot!

    And when I see Terri's picture with Ringo, it is peaceful & loving. Its how we all feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was my very first selfie ever. Only learned the word a few months prior. Never saw a reason to take a photo of myself until challenged by Tammy! It was harder than I thought to get myself, the phone and the horse coordinated. It was fun to see everyone's photos. I agree with Jonni, Leigh had the best shot!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.