Aug 24, 2011

Bursting the Bubble

With work travel and the back to school hustle and bustle, I have had little time to sit down and blog.  But then with work travel and the back to school hustle and bustle, I have had hardly any horse time.  Since this blog is mostly a chronicle of my horse life, there hasn’t been much to share. 

On our local chat group, Horsetales, we were discussing the change of authors on a popular blog; good, bad, or no opinion.  Then the following was posted:

“I stopped reading most Blogs because I found that most eventually turn into an outlet for self promotion and congratulation for the writer, if not just boring blather - its a fine line you have to walk to keep them interesting and informative without running on like the dreaded once a year " Christmas Letter " that some people send out. Kind of like the bragging and rambling on that they would do if they had friends that they could tell that stuff to in person. But on a positive note. at least with a blog you can leave the page without offending the writer or having to make up an excuse..”

Knowing that I keep a website and have blogged before blogging had a name, this was close to hitting me with his best shot.  Ouch.

Although I am thrilled that people do visit this page, I do blog for me.  I enjoy writing about my horses and photoshopping pictures and telling stories.  If I made my blog private and didn’t share it with anyone, I would still write. It’s an outlet for me like reading is for others.  But for those who do tune in, I guess I am guilty of posting dribble when I have nothing horse related to share.  It is like talking when there is an awkward silence.  I am the person who can’t let that go on for too long.  And sometimes, no matter how hard I try, I just can’t make that dribble horse related. 

It’s fun, too, to hear from readers.   And for those of you who have your own blog, I’ve enjoyed getting to know you through your own pages.

In the end, I guess I don’t like to see a stagnant or static page when I go visiting someone else’s blog, so I try to keep mine current; albeit it is sometimes reaching to find something equine to write about.  But with my favorite riding season about here,  it should get better.  I hope you continue to hang with me.  And if you don't, I'll still be here.... writing Christmas letters.

12 comments:

  1. I'll still be here reading, even if I'm not blogging anymore. Hope y'all were talking about Fugly there. I closed my blog up because I'm not writing on it anymore. I think I suffered blog burnout, like you, I blogged before it was even a term. So many years, and I figured I better unplug myself somewhat. Just like that comment, sometimes it seems about self congratulation, even though I'd originally blogged so I wouldn't have to write the same emails to different family members. Easier to just let everyone read it in one place. Now there's Facebook though, and everyone seems to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, I blog for the same reason. And I enjoy reading yours. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Whoever wrote the quote you put on this post is a poop. Very full of themselves, in my opinion. Blogs can be about whatever you want - that blogger didn't/can't/won't write the rules! And if they (the quoted blogger) doesn't like it, stop reading Turkey!

    I LOVE reading other people's "Christmas Letter" blogs!! It has expanded my cache of horsie-friends! It's not a sign that I don't have friends. And personally, I enjoy learning from hearing of other's ups & downs with their horses more than from reading endless blogs and articles of how-to's from the "Professionals" who often don't agree and just make it confusing.
    Sheesh. That Blogger needs to just chill and take a humble pill!
    But. That's my opinion. (And not all that humble at the moment as that quote got my hackles up!!)

    I love your blog!! Please don't change a thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Thanks for a great post! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm taking a break from blogging right now but I'm continuing to read other bloggers when I have the time.

    It's hard to always keep it to horse related posts when there are no horse events going on. I found it hard to keep writing about Dusty's injury when there seems to be no results to report. Blogging for me is a fun way to connect with other horse people from around the country and world and see what they are doing with their horses. And by the way I do have friends and family who I can talk to about horses and riding. Whoever wrote that comment doesn't actually have to read blogs that they don't care for. That's what I do and that's why I stopped reading the Fugly blog. Keep blogging it's always nice to hear from you no matter what you post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Keep blogging it's always nice to hear from you no matter what you post." EXACTLY! It doesn't need to be about horse stuff. (Heck, I don't own a horse. My blog is supposed to be about stockdog stuff, and I haven't done much, if anything, in the way of stockdogs all summer.) We like hearing about the non-horse parts of your life, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I"ve been posting "filler" for a month or so, and it kinda bothers me. But not posting anything is no good! At least a couple of my readers have been "with" me since I started blogging, and I and my horse(s) have changed a lot since then. They deserve to know that things are still plodding along here. This too shall pass, and one day I'll have interesting challenges to write about again.

    I don't worry too much about keeping readers. My interests in blogs has changed over the years, and I've added and dropped blogs. People are free to do the same with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't just come here for your horse stories. I haven't ridden my own horse in two years. I like your storytelling, pictures and family updates - even when they aren't horse related.

    No person in one faceted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been filling so guilty lately about not posting enough on my blog, or having nothing too interesting to say. But unfortunately I am going through a time in my life that I am just way to busy to even read people's blogs, and it has nothing to do with the blogs. I am just too tired and running like crazy. I feel so bad.
    I also have thought of not blogging anymore, but then I know I would really miss it. So I am not doing that. I mean some people will really want to see me riding Chance someday, right? :)
    I don't care what you or anyone else posts about. If it's a blog I read, I will read it. Everyone has their own stories to tell and if someone doesn't like it, then they don't have to read it!
    I enjoy your blog thoroughly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be the summer heat getting to all of us! I haven't done much horsey blogging either, and ended up posting about grandbabies, and sometimes, they were sitting on a horse, LOL. Don't take "his" comments personally, as you know how much he loves to be the "devils' adovate". :-)))
    But just tonight, I went out and took foal pics, to post new pics tomorrow! I hope to start blogging regularly again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my blog description I warned that it would be full of randomness because that's the way my life rolls. I blog for me.

    Yes, I get disappointed when people don't comment- I have lots of posts with 0-3 comments- but mostly I want to record what I want. I save my blog in book form and I find it interesting to reread, to see what I was doing back "then". Also I love to take photos and this is a way for me to save some of them.

    I enjoy reading blogs, or Christmas letters, or whatever you want to call them, because it's a great big world out there and it's good to know we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. :)

    (Just smiling here, as we both know who wrote the snarky comment about blogs. He can just go sit on a bucket or shovel manure or something if blogs seem too Christmas-y for him. Geez, Scrooge,...)

    When I had my blog I did it as an outlet for my writing, which I fully enjoy doing. I stopped my blog because I wasn't keeping it up according to my own self-imposed standards (frequent new posts). Not to say I won't start another one, though!

    The thing I see about blogs is: You don't have to have anything 'of importance' happening in your life in order to blog. It is more an exercise in putting into words your thoughts, opinions, and emotions-- which not everyone can do well. Tammy, you have a gift for it!

    Keep on bloggin'! Yours is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.