Jun 28, 2009

Sunday Stills


Sunday Stills is a place to hone your photography skills. Each week Ed issues a new “Challenge” that gives us the opportunity to pick up what ever kind of camera we own and try to meet the challenge. This week's challenge was "things with wings".

Hmmm. Other than capturing my friends riding horses or my son's sporting events, I'm not very good at getting shots of things moving. And since this blog is horse related, I try to fit the challenge in with that theme. But I couldn't get the pretty birds or butterflies to pose next to the horses and my son's chickens kind of creep me out, so the best I could do was shoot the pesky flies! I haven't mastered close-up shots yet, so I was "very" challenged!

One morning when the fog rolled in, I was taking pictures of the horses in the mist when the barn swallows started scolding me. Then it became my goal to try to snap the picture at just the right time to get them in flight. I managed to get one shot with two of the birds. In hindsight, I should have switched to continuous shooting -- but I'm only brilliant when the chance has passed.



While riding yesterday, I saw some beautiful red winged blackbirds. But trying to take pictures from the saddle without disturbing the bird turned out to be quite a challenge. Later, Julie and I were loping across one field with no hands -- we truly felt like we were flying -- our arms were the wings. I captured this shot of Vic "flying" ahead of me.

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:07 AM

    you've done well
    thanks for your wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In High School, I took photography, and managed to usually incorporate the horses into just about every single assignment. Many years later, when I actually was making horse photography part of our income, I sent a note to the teacher, so he knew it all worked out. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job - loved Vic 'flying' ;~) Thank you for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vic flying is great! I get twitchy all over when I see all those pesky flies around the poor horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those darn flies! That foggy photo is really great. My barn swallows dive bomb me whenever I get too close to their house...which incidentally is IN my house (the eaves), so they really need to remember who's in charge! The loping with wings shot is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Horseflies work very well..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All those flies make me twitch!
    Love the misty meadow and Vic flying is a very cool shot!
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Vic "flying!" thats how it feels isnt it!!??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea, flying on your horse is valid!!
    KacyK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vic flying is very good. You're right about thinking of stuff later. Hindsight is 20/20.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great twist on this week's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots, love Vic flying my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done... the "flying" was great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clever wing pics! hehe!
    The first one made me giggle. Smart girl!
    The landscape pic with the horses grazing in the background is very pretty and pastural.
    And the last photo was my favorite. How fun!

    I hope you enjoyed a wonderful weekend,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great flying photo, I have known the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have beautiful wings :) Love the idea so clever. Thanks for the visit on my still, sorry to be late.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you all for visiting. The "flying" pictures on horses were really fun. The best ones were of the ones Vic took of Julie and I -- but since I didn't take them, I couldn't use them. Stay tuned -- they'll show up on my blog soon! What fun we had that day!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.