Jul 26, 2009

Sunday Stills - Toys


This week’s Sunday Stills challenge is “Toys”. And mine are fur, leather and steel. And it’s not what you are thinking! Once again, I’ve taken my camera to the barn and the farmyard to capture this week’s pictures.

Everything I have related to my horses are my toys, so to speak. We have 5 horses and they each have their own bridle or two. Or in Windy's case, three. My idea, not hers. I've never had a daughter, so I get to play dress-up with my horse.




And of course each of us have our own saddle and trail gear. And then whatever ointments, sprays, wraps, and other supplies that are in the tack room of the barn are duplicated in the trailer.




When we first got our horses, I guess I didn’t think much about riding beyond our own pasture or driveway. But after about 6 months of horse ownership, I came home to find a “new to us” one ton truck in the garage and before we even got it licensed, we were trailer shopping. Today we have a 4-horse gooseneck trailer with living quarters that we use when camping. (I know it's sick and wrong, but most often the trailer is cleaner than my house.)




Time went on. The boys got older and had better things to do than riding horses with their mom. John works out of town a lot in the summer. It seemed like such a waste to load just one horse in that big trailer to meet a friend for a short ride. So I started looking for a smaller trailer to use when it was just me. A majority of the time, I hook up to this 2-horse Sundowner. Now I'm thinking "why use the 1 ton to pull this small trailer?" (Was that out loud?)




Any horse person knows that least expensive part of horse ownership is buying the horse. It's the toys that go with the horse that set us back a dime or two.

25 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:58 AM

    "And mine are fur, leather and steel. And it’s not what you are thinking!"

    haha i know where you were going with that one ;)
    great photographs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, good choice of toys :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your toys are life's precious treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to come over and play with your toys!!! Awesome job! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your toys, TV :-) Fur, leather and steel, huh . . . hubba bubba!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They always say the best way to make a small fortune in the horse business is to start with a large one ;-). Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best kind of toys! There's an expression - the only way to make money in horses is to start off with more money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos! And you're right, its always the "accessories" that end up costing so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah yes, the accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha! Ain't that the truth!

    All your horse 'toys' are just great. And I know you have a blast playing with them...and your horses, too.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sure wish you could edit a mistake in a post instead of deleting it.

    Great post. We must shop at the same "toy" store.

    Love the decal on the side of the trailer. Are they available from your club? I want one on my trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous horses! I wish I had some of those "toys!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:33 PM

    Pretty nice grown-up toys. :) Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your photos! You know you can't take it with you so you might as well enjoy every day with your toys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So jealous of your toys!! Well, I have the horse and accessories part covered, but am anxiously waiting for the truck and trailer part. ;) Hey, nothing wrong with a cleaner trailer than house...I think that means you're a real horse gal. I once read a list on a blog about how to tell if you're a horse person & that one was on there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How much fun it must be to have horses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your horse is so handsome. You are lucky to have such lovely toys.

    Horses don't like me. The few times I tried riding horses, the horses won't bulge. The cruel husband says the horse is complaining about my weight.

    Once I was to go for a 3 hour ride, we had to ride along valleys and cliffs. I had enough, and came back in a little buggy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, all, for your comments. I had fun taking this pictures and for once, was quite happy with how they turned out. It's much easier when the subject doesn't move!

    AKPonygirl: Assuming you are talking about my Horsetrailrider.com decal, I got it at our Horse Expo. A guy had a booth set up and could custom make them. If you are talking about the ones with the 2 horse heads... they are a Lanie Fricke graphic. She has sold her work to another company now & I can't remember right off who it is. I'll ponder it and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It didn't take long to ponder... here is where you can get the 2 horse head graphics (and other cool ones, too!)

    http://www.autobodyart.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. All nice toys, I'm afraid I too many toys, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous set of toys!!! I love the pinkish coloring of the one photo! great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My kind of toys!Good looking horse too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whatever about the toys, the horse is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.