Aug 14, 2009

Fresh Salsa


This blog is not about home & gardens. So I apologize in advance for going off topic. But I thought this was worth it.

I try to stay out of the kitchen as much as possible. John is by far the better cook in our family. But it is August and if you are like me, you have some fresh produce. So I really want to share a quick salsa recipe with you.

A little history. The Pioneer Woman has become a sort of cult hero in our house. If I even breath her name while standing at the stove, the kids know whatever we are having is going to be good. And don’t think I’m lying! I am 48 years old and never ate a sweet potato in my life until The Pioneer Woman introduced us to her way of doing sweet potatoes. And now the kids say sweet potatoes are their favorite food. And they are pretty high on my list, too. Who’d of thunk?

The Pioneer Woman recently launched a new website called Tasty Kitchen. This is compiled of recipes submitted by her readers. I’ve become quite a fan in short time, as I have found some "little work" recipes. Although they aren’t technically “Pioneer Woman” recipes, I just tell the kids they are & they eat it.

But back to the salsa. It's awesome and easy and fresh and sassy! Don't get all nervous - you don't can it. It makes about 3 pints; just enough to put in your refrigerator. We put a jar in our cooler and take camping with us. If your family is anything like mine, you’ll be through it in a week. All you need is a blender or food processor and quart or pint sized jars with lids (mayonnaise jars work).


Fresh Salsa (or Fresco as John calls it)
1 large can of whole peeled tomatoes OR
6 or 8 small peeled tomatoes from your garden
1 green bell pepper
1 to 3 jalapenos (your taste preference)
1 medium onion (peeled)
3 cloves garlic (peeled)
1 bunch cilantro
½ sm. can tomato paste
Seasonings to your taste to include
Sugar or Brown Sugar
Salt
Pepper (I use fresh ground)
Italian Seasoning


Start with tomatoes in blender or food processor. Add the rest of the veggies one at a time. Finish with the cilantro. (You can reduce or eliminate the cilantro if you aren't a fan). Pour in canning jars and serve when cold. This is fresh & not canned, so you’ll want to use in the next week.

The last time I posted cooking pictures on Horsetales, someone caught a glimpse of a spur on my counter. So I paid a little closer attention to what I was photographing this time!

And I'll have a horse related blog to follow quickly. I promise.

3 comments:

  1. I love the Pioneer Woman and I think I am to the point of getting the same reaction when I utter her name as well! All of her stuff is so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Pioneer Woman! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm all over recipes that are easy, don't require lots of fancy ingredients and taste great!
    I bet this salsa would freeze well, too. My freezer is filling up fast with all of our sliced peaches and freezer jam, but I'd make some room for some yummy salsa! lol!

    ~Lisa

    ps, who would love to see spurs on a kitchen counter. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. That looks delicious. Homemade salsa is one of those foods that is SO much better homemade.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.