Aug 7, 2009

Car Shopping ~ A Necessary Evil


When I first started Horsetrailriders.com and subsequently the Stable Talk column, I didn’t know I was blogging. I don’t remember the first time I heard the word “blog” and related it to what I was writing, but I guess I’ve been doing it undefined for about five years. Blogging. It’s such a strange little word. I just started writing because the home page needed something more and I wanted it to be fresh when readers logged on to my website. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed writing until I had a forum to continue. And it seemed with horses, I always had a story to tell.




On the trail this week, I met Pat, an English teacher who mentioned she reads my blog, and I have to admit I was a bit intimidated! I never know if my stories are grammatically correct or considered well written. (Let alone if anyone reads them or simply moves on to the Classified section!) I can usually see the glaring mistakes after I hit “publish”, but it is those that aren’t so obvious or the mysteries of the English language that I have never fully understood that will catch me with my literary pants down! I always wonder if my former English teacher, Mr. Witty, taught me enough to not embarrass myself!



I try to update this blog a couple times a week. This week it didn’t happen and even though my deadline is self-imposed, I was starting to get the shakes! I don't deal well with tardiness, especially my own! It wasn't that I lacked things to write about – there is a non-stop monologue going through my head - but sometimes by the end of the day, there is a big disconnect between my brain and my fingers. And this week I lacked horse related activities. Although I did ride the last two nights, my time has been sandwiched between taking the boys to Worlds of Fun and scanning Craig’s List and AutoTrader.




I'm a few weeks away from the end of the lease on my Honda Civic. I really don't know what got into me when I leased it other than predicting the price of gas was going to go up -- and it did. Although the thirty-six miles per gallon was the only bright thing when we were being raped by the oil companies last year, I am really not a Civic type of gal. And there are a few things about Hondas that I have never gotten used to.

  • Why do you have to use the key or the key clicker to lock the doors? Why can't I just hit "lock" on the door panel? (My hands are usually full when I get out of the car!)
  • The wipers are on the wrong side of the steering column! (I'm always turning on the lights instead of the wiper -- even after 4 years!)
  • I can't charge my cell phone when the car is turned off!
  • Oh, and switching on the bright lights is backward!
Mechanically it was a good little car, but these things bugged me to no end. But what it comes down to is this. I miss driving a big gas guzzling SUV! And I'm willing to pay the higher fuel bills for a vehicle that fits our horse/dog/kid lifestyle a little better.



As much as I'm looking forward to having another vehicle with a hitch, I dread shopping for said vehicle! The internet has made it somewhat easier. I have researched those that interest me. Narrowed it down to what-will-do-what-I-want-it-to-do-for-the-price-I-want-to-spend! But sooner or later, I'm going to have to leave the house and actually see it, drive it and worse, DEAL on it! I'd rather put a needle in my eye! And although my husband is multi-talented, his personality does not lend itself to wheelin' and dealin'. (Don't tell him I said that). I'm sure as we dicker with the salesman, John and I will bicker. Since temperatures are going to soar into the high 90's this weekend, I may as well bite the bullet and go looking. I would hate it worse if I had to miss a good riding weekend at a used car lot.

Saturday Evening Update: Just as I was aiming for my eye, I found it! A Dodge Durango with a V8 Hemi! It's perfect!



7 comments:

  1. Oh I just hate cars. I don't know why we don't all just ride horses!

    Seriously, I had to give up my Suburban last spring as it was on it's last legs. I mourned that car for a good month before I decided that I liked my new one. It's a GMC Acadia (used) and it will pull a 2 horse trailer but gets better mileage than the Suburban did. I hear ya on the Civic thing. I don't think I'd like it either. I'm a truck girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get ready to buy your new vehicle, go with an absolute price in mind and don't let the sales guy try to change it. If they won't meet your price, walk out! It's a buyer's market.

    What's the story on the big draft? Go look at my blog. Our horses could be twins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindee, I saw your post on my Blackberry and did see one Acadia. Very nice!

    I ended up with a Dodge Durango. It has a V8 hemi 5.7 liter engine. It just felt good! Haven't hooked up my trailer to it yet, but reckon it will do the job just fine! John already dinged the door - darn him! He was used to those small Honda doors!

    AKPony, OMG, your Mare is a spitting image of our "Baby!" And sounds like a lot of the same personality! "Otherwise she will amble along the trail, going where you point her with no fuss." That describes our Baby to a tee! Here is the story on our draft, Baby. http://horsetrailriders.blogspot.com/2008/11/raising-baby.html
    Someday she will have a job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Durango. I am super jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill Boullion2:26 PM

    Mr. Witty! That is a memory. Didn't you have my mom for English... probably in 8th grade? Or Mr. Fritz?

    I think your writing is superb, just as I remembered it. You used to write the most hilarious letters when you were in Lincoln over the summer and I was back in south central NE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new SUV!!! Great pics to go along with your post,too.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny about the english teach and memory of Mr. Witty(real name?)
    We all have that thought of who is there to look over our shoulder..hard not to wonder but, we do this for ourselves mainly, huh.
    Great choice of vehicle ...can't wait to hear about the smoother than butter towing the horses-hopefully!
    KK

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.