Aug 26, 2009

Mowing, Mowing, Mowing


Did I really just post a blog called “Riding, Riding, Riding?” Seems shortly after that post I have been doing anything but riding, riding, riding. And the worst part is, we have had wonderful weather considering it is August. Well, up until today that is. And being that I live in farm country, one would argue that today wasn't a bad day weatherwise either. But to me, after 1.5" of rain, my day was ruined, ruined, ruined.

I decided to take one for the team last weekend and not make any riding plans. There were a lot of things to be done around the place. Yard clean up -- Bo tends to drag around everything! We also needed to mow the pastures where the grass was thick and coarse and ungrazed, hoping to attract the horses and cows to the undergrowth. We had a small hayfield that needed mowing in hopes of picking up a few more small bales.


The boys were both home - we had all hands on deck. Well, McCain's hands were under the hood of his car much of the time, but he did push out some effort being the "gas man". We really need one of those big barrels of fuel on the property – I can’t tell you how many times we needed him to run for more gasoline to keep all the tractors and mowers going.


By Sunday night, the place was looking pretty good. The pastures looked groomed, that pesky tree bug problem was under control and we got a good start on weed-eating – although I don’t think that project will ever be done!

I decided to take today off and made plans to ride with the Platte River Riders North group this evening. Since it is a couple hour haul up there, some friends and I decided to make a day of it, head up early, ride and have a late picnic lunch between rides. Twenty percent chance of rain. Heck, that’s nothing! So we thought.


I woke up to overcast skies. Kathy called and said it was raining at her place. Hmm. She’s south, we are heading north. The Big Fat Lying Weatherman still says only a 20% chance of rain here and where we are heading. We should be good. Called Sam, whom we were meeting, and she suggested we hold another hour and just to see what happens. Well what happened are the heavens opened up, up, up! While hooking up the trailer, the lightning started flashing. I got in the house in time to shut down the computer. And shortly after that, I lost all power in the house. In less than an hour, we had almost 1.5” of rain. Radar didn’t look promising in the direction we wanted to head. Nope, nope, nope.

No one ever wants to be the first to say, “forget it”. We were all thinking it though. Finally, Kathy, who had the farthest to drive, said she didn’t want to risk that many hours on the road and get rained out. We all concurred and scratched our plans.

I sat in my dark house without the hum of the refrigerator for about 2 minutes. No computer, no tv. It was too quiet. In the dim light, I went to the closet and rummaged around for clothes that appeared to match and quickly changed out of my boots and jeans. Ran a brush through my hair, put makeup on as best I could without lights and went to work, work, work.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you gave it up. It was miserable all around yesterday.

    Hey - what were those tree bug thingys anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about your cancelled ride and the rain. Didn't that affect the mowing? Lucky you to have so much grass in your fields! My horses have to graze 24/7 to get enough to eat out in the field. But they enjoy it anyway, being "wild" horses. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It did end up to be quite a miserable day! Our St. Bernard, Bo, just sat on the porch and looked in the door all evening! Pathetic thing!

    The gal at Earl May couldn't come up with the name of the bug but we got a good kill on them. They were gross - but what was worse was when you walked under the tree and it "sapped" you! And it is right over our driveway, so you couldn't leave a car out without it getting sapped!

    Val - we mowed on Sat/Sun. My canceled ride was on Wed. Although I hated having to cancel the ride, the rain came at a great time after mowing. I'm hoping we'll get one more cutting of alfalfa yet this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know we need rain for hay and everything else, but I hate rain! Hate it, hate it, hate it.

    We had the same weather last week. It was sunny and nice when I went out to feed and by the time I filled the buckets, there were torrential downpours, three trees fell down on my tobacco shed overhang, which is what the horses get under when I don't have them in the barn, luckily no one hurt, and by the time I got into the house I was so wet I wrung out my bra and could have filled a small container with water!

    www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too Funny-Funny-Funny!!!
    I know the ride was bust but the way you told your story,I was just gigglin' through, and already knew the ending.
    I love the startled stare boys pics...as they looked up to find you capturing them too!
    The next ride is at hand for you I bet...and now it smells sooo good after that rain huh! I love that smell.
    Ride on and smile!
    KacyK

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.