Jan 10, 2010

Sunday Stills ~ My Best Shot!

Our Sunday Stills challenge for this week seemed pretty easy. To post our best shot of 2009. Right away, I knew what picture that would be. I do have a favorite. But Ed was feeling a bit generous and said we should post our favorite two pictures. Ah jeez! Now that is tough. There are so many that just didn't make the cut of "favorite", but were a close second.

As always, I try to keep my posts horse related. I have a few of Blue that seemed to really capture his personality. But I also think I may have posted them on this blog a time or two. And I have more pictures of Windy than I do of my kids! So I cheated a bit. And started another series of posts called Lucky Shots. There I can showcase those that just didn't quite fall into the "favorite" category, but that make me smile nonetheless.

Here is my all time favorite 2009 Best Shot.




This picture was taken this past June at our ride at Big Canyon Ranch near Basset, Nebraska. It was late in the afternoon and our bunch road out into the east pastures. We started climbing some of the higher hills. Several of us tackled an even bigger hill while the rest of our group rested on this bluff. When I came back down from that climb, I took this picture of the valley which reaches all the way to the Niobrara River. It truly looks like you can see forever. But when I downloaded this picture, what I really appreciated about is were not only the colors, but the other riders. Their expressions or lack thereof. All of them in their own little world, taking in the same beauty that I was seeing through my lens. This is why I trail ride. It just doesn't get any better than this.




And the second runner up, goes to my boys. Kind of horse related as it was taken when we were putting up hay. Once again, what I like about this picture is how it captured their personalities. McCain is looking away from the camera. He is not avoiding it. He probably has no clue I am taking the picture. He's a dreamer. Nothing bad about that - he takes after me. And I can tell he is caught up in one of his big dreams at this moment. Probably picturing himself doing anything besides putting up hay. And Case, he sees the camera and no doubt, the shot before this and the shot after, he has some sort of funny face happening to try to ruin the picture. And the boxers coming out of the jeans? I have no idea where that look came from! Finally, Ritz, the dog. He is the most obedient dog I ever owned. Just last night I had him doing similar poses on snow drifts. So I tell him to get on the bales for a picture, he gets on the bales. And isn't he photogenic? That dog doesn't take a bad picture! So my boys, all three of them, garner the spot for my second favorite picture of 2009.

I have to give Ed credit - when he offers a challenge, he makes me think not only about just capturing the subject, but taking a good shot. Can't wait to see what our photo assignments are for 2010.

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:01 AM

    wonderful selections :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree the first shot is spectacular! Thanks for the compliment, I'll try to keep coming up with interesting challenges..:-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:23 AM

    I really liked them both, but especially the shot of your boys and their dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family is pretty special, even friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the wide angle view of the first one and I love the second one too! Great family shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both great shots. I particularly like the one of your boys, it captures all of them well and has a unique perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots...both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that first photo too. It is so descriptive! Is that John on the gray?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The riding shot is magazine cover worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val - Nope, not John on he gray arab. A cowboy friend from those parts. John was riding Butter that ride. That is her head in the lower right hand corner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both great shots, and I like how you described the second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll bet it was hard to pick only two. I like them both, I'm such a waffler, I can't decide which my favorite one is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are both terrific selections! Love that big open sky. And your boys take a great photo. Love the angle, too.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the scenery of Big Canyon. I need to get there this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shots. I love the trail shot also, it is just such a serene moment and so stunningly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful pics! The scenery for the ride is spectacular. And I love the shot of your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two wonderful photos and your reasons speak for themselves! Love your Ritz dog...had that same smile my Cowboy has!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice pictures. The riders with the background is a fantastic natural shot. Lack of expression is great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very Awesome captures....love the horse scene with the big sky!
    XO
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a similar photo like your top photo. My son and I and 4 young adults went on a 3 hour horse ride. I went along because I thought Sam then 10 needed me to accompany.

    Turned out it was a long trail and my horse was not co-operative. I gave us half way and came back in a buggy.

    It cost me $60.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.