Dec 25, 2009

The Blizzard of 2009




I don't know that I've ever done three posts in one day before, but then I don't remember a blizzard like this since we moved out here in 1992. There was the 1997 October Snowstorm, but it didn't hit us as hard as it did those in the city. I recall a lot of snow as a child, but it seems our winters have gotten milder as the years have passed, or I just remember those big ones of my childhood and in reality, there weren't that many. Who knows. But right now, I am 100% certain that this is A Big One to Remember.

The temperature has been hovering around 20 degrees which is a heatwave compared to the frigid storm a few weeks ago. But the winds have not quit and it cuts quickly through any exposed skin. After we took care of the livestock late this afternoon, the four of us toured our farm - the boys finding the big drifts and diving in.




From my kitchen window, I'd been watching this drift form all afternoon. McCain is about 5'10", so it is close to that high.




The wind is blowing from the northwest. The barn faces east, so it hasn't drifted quite as much.




Drifts circling the 'ornamental' outhouse.






McCain on the other side of the basement walk-out. You can't tell there is a walk-out and I doubt we'll be walking out of the basement anytime soon.






John, Case & Bo heading to the shed.





I was trying to stand in this huge snowdrift and Bo thought it was time to play.





Once again, we won't be going down this driveway anytime soon.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. Amazing what y'all are going through. Saw that more snow was hitting up in NE today. Hope you have lots of bred, milk, and bottled water cuz even if you could get to the store, I bet they are out. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some CRRRAZY snow!! I can't get over those pics. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a storm! I hope everyone is safe and warm. It really looks frigid.....although you seem to be bundled up quite well! :) Hope you had a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you, too, Tammy! What a storm we are having! I laughed at the pic of Bo and you - if he got on top of you, you wouldn't get out of that drift! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you, too, Tammy! What a storm we are having! I laughed at the pic of Bo and you - if he got on top of you, you wouldn't get out of that drift! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you guys wished too hard for a white Christmas!

    Look at all that white stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you guys really got slammed with this storm. At least you all look like you're having fun, wonder how a huge snowman would look next to the outhouse? Stay warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my goodness! This does bring back memories! That sure looks like home to me! I'm sitting here in So. California having a relapse! Once a Lincoln girl, always .....

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.