Dec 20, 2009

I'm Dreaming of Summer Vacation!


In the dead of winter (okay, so officially it's the last day of fall), I start thinking about where I want to ride next year. Oh, we’ll hit all our local haunts and hopefully a few new ones within an easy drive. But I keep reminding myself we only have two more summers before McCain flies the coop. Can I twist his arm into doing one more “big trip” with the horses this coming summer? He has mentioned how much he loved riding in the Black Hills and I would love to go back there. More importantly, can the truck take that trip again?

On days like this, I open up the picture files and remember that trip. (The good stuff, not the truck breaking down stuff...) I’d love to be like Samantha on Bewitched. Wiggle my nose and be back there again…. On our good horses, with our sons and our friends. All of us in awe as our horses took us places we would never have gone otherwise. Most noteably, Harney Peak.


Soaking up the views on the way to Harney Peak.

Getting Closer...


Stopping for a short rest.



And we continue on...


Finally there!


And what goes up, must come down.

Watering Windy along the way.

These pictures bring back memories. Yeah, we had challenges that trip, but they were all mechanical. The rides themselves were good. Great memories! The skies were blue, the weather was mild and our horses didn't let us down. To hell with Disney World, I'd go back to South Dakota in a heartbeat. Or maybe Colorado.... or Wyoming....

5 comments:

  1. Janette2:06 PM

    I wish I could know you. We think alike. To hell with Disney Would!! Lets go riding. I put more than 200 hours on my colt last year. I was wanting more. Ride Ride Ride..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Janette, you are my type of person! I am going crazy because I haven't rode since the Friday after Thanksgiving due to weather & it's KILLIN' me!

    Congrats on your 200 hours! I set hourly goals, too, and it motivates me. (You should see my spreadsheet! :) I did make my goal - thank goodness, but should have been way over. The weather come too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was a great ride. I don't blame you for wanting to be back there right now. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to ride my horse on historic trails in America. There are some here (Chilkoot Trail and the Iditarod Trail) but for the most part they can only be ridden by snow machine in the winter.

    CTR Alaska is hosting the Bald Mountain Butt Buster in July 2010. I won't be competing but I will be setting and marking trail and working behind the scenes. We have about 53 miles of trail that we will keep open and there are plans to cut several more miles of trail. You should fly up and ride with us. I have a horse you can borrow - she looks just like one of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! It's gorgeous! I am going to have to put this on my list too. So many beautiful places to ride and so little time to do it in.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.