Dec 23, 2009

Moving On


Here in Nebraska, we appreciate that we have four seasons. Really, we do. But we always worry. We expect spring rains (April showers, May flowers), but if we get too much, we worry that we are “losing our spring!” And if the hot days normally experienced the end of July violate us in what's expected to be mild-weathered June, we worry that we will have three months of humidity. But, God forbid, when snow comes in October, it rocks our world as we know it! We don't worry that we lost our best month of riding, we know it! If you have read my blog or my Stable Talk before it, I’m sure you’ve recognized my distress year after year. But truly, until this early winter, we have had some usual temperatures these last few years - and not all of it bad.



Really, I don’t mind the snow necessarily (as long as it's winter and it goes away quick!) It takes away from the winter gray. But I take exception to BANG! A foot and a half before we have even packed away our bathing suits! It’s been a few weeks now and as I was walking back from the barn this morning, in full weather garb, I came to the conclusion that I have hunkered down for the season. Just two months to go.



Today, winter has brought us the dreaded “wintry mix”. It such a pretty word with a horrible definition. Short version: rain, ice, freezing temperatures and driving hell. No doubt, followed by a foot of snow! Now is when the weatherman starts reporting with alarmingly swell accuracy! Amazing that he can’t figure it out when we want to go on a simple trail ride in May without raingear!



But all this aside, I’m moving on. Making plans. Not only thinking about summer vacation, but I joined one of the Mane Challenge teams competing at the Nebraska Horse Expo this coming March. Pay no mind to the fact that I have never entered a horse show in my life! Nor do I have any idea when or where I might practice this feat with that next foot of snow coming in twenty four hours?

(Have I lost my mind?)

Ah, it’s only 2 classes.

How bad can that be?

(Don’t answer that!)

My friend, Joni, offered me her seasoned show horse, Prinny. Very tempting, though I would hate to embarrass the chap. He is used to winning! Nah, Windy and I are going down together! At least she’ll look pretty whether she accomplishes anything or not. Me?

I need to lose a pound

or two

or ten.

Quick!

11 comments:

  1. I was outside a couple of hours ago, and got some fantastic ice pictures. I'll have to post them tonight or tomorrow. And yes, I got a picture of the pony wearing BRIGHT PINK!

    I answered your comment on my blog, but yes, she really is wearing an 84. She will be 2 in a month and is already pushing 16 hands. She is a BEAST.

    No worries, you'll rock the mane challenge! I'll have to come down and watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'mane' thing is to have fun. Don't worry about the pounds, enjoy the holidays!

    In answer to your question, I think my Blue may have an Elvis voice too or possibly a James Dean (Rebel Without a Cause)! Ha.

    Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsa, that is some storm! I heard it is pretty bad your way. Hope it doesn't mess up any holiday travel. Hunker down with some cocoa and good movies! :)
    Love the photos with this post, very artistic! Have a merry one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least your snow will be gone in 2 months. It's been known to snow here in MAY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your perspective on the winter photos.

    The Expo is something to look forward to, not dread. You'll both be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuck! Sorry to hear about your ice storm. We had a but, but mostly just enough to coat the roads, not enough to coat everything else. You got some lovely pictures, though!

    Good luck with your show plans - sounds like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you were out in that mess taking pictures. You got some good ones though!

    Just treat the classes like a training exercise. You are training Windy to perform in front of an audience. It's bound to be rough at first - just keep your expectations low and get through it without DQing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the ice photos. Mindee has a great idea about the classes. Red and me were in our first ever sort of show - a field trial event, and I was quite nervous at first. It helped me to shift gears when I figured out the entire thing was a training event.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The worst storms are the ice storms...I hate those clip snaps that won't open!!! It irritates me to NO END! Stay warm and keep planning those warm weather events!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ice may be a trial, but the photos are great! Planning for spring keeps the winter blues away...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Good pictures, makes me colder than I already am. We are getting a little snow now, but the ice I can live without. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.