Dec 13, 2009

Sunday Stills ~ Technology


Sunday Stills is a place to hone your photography skills. Each Week Ed issues a new “Challenge” that gives us the opportunity to pick up what ever kind of camera we own and try and meet it. This week's challenge is technology!

I take a lot of pictures. For every thousand or so, I might get one good one. Truly, it is not skill on my part, but luck! But sometimes there are those that, with a little help, can be improved on. So I'll open them in Photoshop Elements or Picaso or MS Image Pro in hopes of finding a quick fix.



Now let me state for the record, when it comes to photography, I ain't no Pioneer Woman. I don't really know my way around a camera at all and although I use three photo programs, I never have mastered even one! I know I can do certain things in Photoshop and other things in the other two programs, so it is truly a team effort!



I liked the look Windy seemed to be giving that barrel that had blown into the pasture, but I really didn't like the barrel in the picture. It kind of gave it a trashy look.


So, in Photoshop, I was able to erase it. I know there are ways I could fine tune the erase, but haven't figured that out yet.


Recently, I started using Picaso, a free program from Google. And I've had a lot of fun with this program so far.



I can add a soft focus to the picture.


Or change the tint.


Or try a lot of other fun features.






And finally, using Microsoft Digital Image Pro, I can do flipbooks and captions as well as making frames and albums.

Now I know if I really tried, Photoshop would probably be able to do all of these features since it is one of the most common programs. Although I love all the fun that technology offers, the learning curve is steep. Someday, in my spare time, perhaps I'll figure it all out. Until then, I continue to hunt and peck to salvage a few shots that were just on the cusp of being halfway decent. So technology in itself, is a challenge!

12 comments:

  1. That was a great post on Technology.. loved all the wonderful examples you used.. now I better go open up my Photoshop, and play with it some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:35 PM

    i enjoyed looking through your post and your post this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you about PS. I am so intimidated by it. There's a lot to learn - and a lot to forget and have to relearn. That pic of Windy turned out great though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wonder of internet and the computer.

    Is it too cold for the horse? Here in mild Auckland, I see people putting a blanket on the horses in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a few photoshop programs too and haven't mastered any of them either. Just too lazy to really sit down and read each direction which I seldom understand either. I like Picassa and use it a lot. Pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know more than I do! I have to figure out some stuff...like the way you erased the barrel. Love the shots below of your son and his horse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definately need to come over and spend the day with you learning! That is so neat what you can do with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:29 PM

    I think Photoshop would be lots of fun. I'm like you and take tons of pictures, and have most of my adult life. I received my first camera from my grandmother over fifty years ago,and have been shooting ever since. It's a real blast to be able to manipulate photos I've taken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only play with Picnik now because it's so quick and easy to lean and edit photos with, but I must say it's addictive and so much fun!

    Excellent photos...excellent subject! I love what you did, especially the black and white photo.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great picture!
    I am also not a very good photographer! My sister helps me alot. I use Picassa all the time. I love it! And it is very easy to use. When it comes to technology, the easier the better for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! You should try Picnik.com too. Lots of fun effects and the basic account is free.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I downloaded Picassa from your link. Let's see how easy it really is for me!

    Oh, and I really do like that photo of Ginger and how you edited it.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.