Jan 3, 2011

First Ride, First Wreck

It was the first ride of the new year and we had a little wreck. Windy's okay, I'm okay... albeit a bit bruised. Hoping we got that out of our system now.

What happened? Wish it were a better story. We were riding down the gravel road on a new route from home. I saw a car in the distance and as usual, dropped her down into the ditch next to the road. There was an electric fence running on the other side of the ditch, but no biggy - we ride next to these all the time. This one was a bit different - it was the white braided rope rather than wire, but surely Windy knew this? I don't know what she was thinking, but she turned right into it! It hit her, she bolted & we went through it.

I pulled her to a stop on the other side of the fence. Dismounted & inspected the damage. I couldn't see a gate to get us out, but the fence was pretty stretched so I figured I could step on it and she could step over it. As I got closer, I found there was another strand of wire fence below the braided rope. I gathered up both the strands, stepped on it and asked Windy to step over it. She did. God, I love that she trusts me so. But, as she took the last step, she clipped the fence with her hoof.

She spooked and ran in front of me, the wire on her ankle now wrapping around my ankle. I went down behind her; still holding the reins. She dragged me a ways until I got the mind to let go of her. And when I did, it freed me and her from the wire.

I slowly got up. My shins had taken quite a beating from her back hooves. My horse and my dog were running ahead but not on any mission so I knew they would eventually stop. And they did. After I settled her, I climbed aboard and we went home.

I have quite a little color on my shins which, no doubt, will become even more colorful tomorrow morning. But hoping (knock wood) that the first ride was the worst ride of 2011 and it is only uphill from here!

Kept my New Year's resolution & ended the ride with a smile (over gritted teeth.)

(I posted the picture of Windy after the ride. It is so unusual for her to be this sweated up after a short 6 mile ride. Just shows how worked up she was over the whole ordeal, too.)



.

17 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I think I would of sat in the snow and cried. Hope yours and Windy's legs are ok. Ice could be your best friend tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:04 PM

    Very scary - glad it wasn't worse and hope both of you are (basically) uninjured and OK except for some bruises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How terrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you both. Gosh, you just never know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary! So glad you both are okay. Hopefully that will be the last of the scary rides for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oye. One more potential hazard for us riders to know about. You'd think the horse would move away from the shock instead of into it, but I suppose if they don't know what's causing the sensation, they just react. I guess electric fencing keeps horse in, because they'd rather run to their herd for safety. I'm glad both of you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that's no way to start the New Year! Hope you're both feeling better and don't have lots of colorful reminders that last long. Glad to hear that you both weren't hurt too badly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap! Glad that everyone is OK. Hope that this is the worst ride for you in 2011. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! Glad you are both okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'd have been worked up too had I been jolted like that. What a way to start off the year. Glad you got through it ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scary - glad you both came through with no more than minor bumps. At least the tape will generally stretch and break, but that hidden wire under the snow could have been bad. Wonder if she just didn't see the white on white?

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope the bruises aren't too bad. Wonder what set her off in the first place??? yes, it's all uphill now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, at least you got that out of the way right away! May the rest of your 2011 be accident-free!

    I'm glad you are both okay and the oncoming vehicle didn't add even more mess to the mayhem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew! What a relief that it wasn't worse. Because it could have been, you know.
    Here's to only safe, fun, and warm rides for the rest of 2011.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would have scared the pee right out of me( which would not have added anything positive to the scenario). Glad you're both okay and that you don't have to wear shorts any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What do they say about of the ashes come....? I'd bet you that out of this came some good confidence/trust but unfortunately bruises too. I hope you are doing ok and your bruises aren't serious. Admire you for climbing back on. You have GRIT...a term I don't give to many - used from prior to the recent movie...good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to smile myself when you wrote that you kept your resolution to end your rides with a smile (albeit with gritted teeth). Good sense of humor. I'm so glad it didn't end up worse. One of those things you couldn't predict happening.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my God! That could have been so much worse! You are so lucky that by letting go of the reins, it somehow released you! I'm shaking just reading this. I had to read it outloud to Kurt--I told him, you won't believe this one...

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.