Jan 17, 2011

Trail Time



I mentioned in my end of year post that I belong to the Nebraska Horse Trails Committee's Trail Time program. Similar to many of the breed programs, you simply ride your horse and log your hours; earning chevrons and award certificates at year end. For me, it's not about the awards, but about the time in the saddle. I decided a long time ago that if I was going to own horses, I was going to ride them. Not that there is anything wrong with having a pasture pet – God forbid if I physically couldn't ride, I would still want horses in my life – but for now, I CAN ride and will.


Trail Time provides the NHTC with data about where trail riders are riding. This helps our organization when negotiating for new trails or improvements in our horse trail parks. The dues from the program go into the NHTC general fund which provides monetary support to local public trails. Trail Time is inexpensive ($10 for Nebraska Horse Council members, $15 for non-members) and by joining, an easy way to give back to those who open the trails for horse trail riders. If you are interested in joining the program, enroll today.

I've been involved with the Nebraska Horse Trails Committee for almost ten years. It is very rewarding to ride on trails that I personally helped petition for, create or clear. I am very lucky to have a pretty good selection of trails within 30 miles of my home which make it easy for day riding. If I want to drive a little farther, I have even more selections a short two hours away. An easy thing that all trail riders can do is thank those land owners and park rangers for keeping trails open for horse trail riding. Ever mile is precious.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very worthy cause. I'm glad you are getting out and enjoying your horses and the trails. It must be very fulfilling to feel a part of it. Good for you and your horses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great organization. In these modern times it's nice to have an organization that helps keep trails open for horses and keeps development at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having nice trails is why I'll never complain about buying trail passes to ride in various parks. And I just discovered that some trails are completely maintained by volunteers. They do deserve a big thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.