Jan 6, 2011

Black & Blue



Am I really brave enough to post pictures of my legs?



Do you know how hard it is to get a decent picture of your own legs when your legs aren't really that pretty to begin with? And have you ever tried to take pictures of your own body parts? I could have asked one of the boys to take the picture, but they would think it weird & wonder why. Then I would have to tell them that I wanted to post it on the internet to show all of you. And they would think that even more weird. They just wouldn't understand that horse people share our bang-ups like a badge of honor.

I've concluded the bruises are hoof marks. I have a couple more behind each knee which are pretty much impossible to photograph (I tried). Yeah, I was stiff for the last couple of days. There is still some swelling. But it's a long way from the heart so unless a blood clot takes me out, I think I'll live.

When someone at work was showing their cat scratch, I trumped her by pulling up my pant leg and exclaiming that "This is what happens when you are dragged by a horse."

On a slightly more serious note, I have been pondering the whole accident & you know what? I was really, really lucky.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, you were lucky!! I know it hurts though.

    What's wrong with me then? I got badly bruised a few months back from a horse and never told a soul. Ooops, the cat's out of the bag now, isn't it? I always get embarrassed rather than considering them marks of honor to tell about my horsie-owies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Val... you must tell! If we can't laugh at our goofs, we might start thinking seriously about this hobby of ours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! That looks like it hurts! Hope the legs heal up quick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. You were. I'm surprised you weren't trampled. I'm glad you weren't. Bruises take a while to disappear, but they are much better than broken bones.

    Oh and yes, I have tons of experience photographing injured parts of my body for blog photos. lol!
    It all began after falling off of Baby Doll and the subsequent ACL surgery, followed by the pull-back incident that broke my tibial plateau, followed by a kick in the face, followed by a kick on the hip. sigh.
    Yeah, I've photographed my bodily injuries way more than I'd have liked.

    Even with bruises, you have very nice legs. :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. "we might start thinking seriously about this hobby of ours"

    lol! I had to laugh at what you said because even with sharing the 'goofs' and injuries, maybe even because of sharing them, I've had some serious thinking about this whole horse-riding hobby thing for sure! :D

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least your legs were shaved before you took the photo!Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:03 AM

    Ouch - feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you were very lucky. Heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch. Yes you were lucky, but you were also prepared. You were wearing a helmet, you knew your horse and you kept your cool. I'm just glad Windy didn't run in front of the car in her panic. THAT would have been the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you poor thing. That's so scary :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. What the heck happened?! I just scanned back through a bunch of posts to see what I missed when you said in the first one that the swelling is in your ankles. Then I see this--you were dragged! Of course I'm doubly interested since, as I think you know, Kelly was dragged last fall at a barrel race. I immediately got her the emergency release stirrups. I'm paranoid now and wanted a pair for myself for Christmas but Santa got me a real nice Diamond Wool saddle pad, in browns and creams to match Lowdown, instead. Valentine's Day? Anyway, I'm going to keep reading back to see what happened! Those legs look horrible! And yes, we horsewomen DO wear our bumps and bruises like badges of honor, don't we? And we love to tell the stories!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.