Jan 30, 2011

The 30 Day Shred


If I blog about it, perhaps it will up the ante. I would hate to fail and embarrass myself in front of all of you. To FAIL miserably at something in which I want so much to succeed. Finding my figure again!

It's January 30 and 18 years ago today, I wore a Size 10 wedding dress, had a nicely defined waist and only laid on the bed to zip up my jeans because I wanted them extra tight. As the years went by, quitting a smoking habit, having two kids and years of bad eating habits finally caught up with me. I was closing in on a number on the scale that I didn't like; so on January 1, 2008, for the first time in my life, I started to diet and exercise. By August of that year, I had lost almost 40 pounds and not only was I thinner than I had been in years; I was in great physical condition. I had energy and stamina. I felt good!

So what the heck happened? I started slipping back into old habits, not only eating foods I shouldn't but increasing the quantity. I was bored with exercise and found reasons not to go work out. Now 2-1/2 years later, I find myself slipping into those larger sized jeans I kept around "just in case" and finding an almost perfect fit. This is NOT good.

So I am recommitting myself to losing weight and toning up. Not just talking (blogging) about it, but doing it. The formula is easy. Eat less, exercise more. How hard can that be? (Don't answer that!) I've borrowed Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred DVD from a friend and had my first workout today. Now granted, I probably didn't give it 100% (or even 80%) the first time through. One, I don't have hand weights & secondly, I was still learning the exercises, so she would be a few reps ahead of me. But I did get a good workout in 20 minutes. My neck was sweaty, I was winded and when I went to walk down the stairs, OMG, my legs were turned to jelly. So whatever she is prescribing, I am feeling it.

I am setting a goal to lose 15 pounds by Memorial Day. I'll report my progress weekly. I would like to post a picture of myself in some not so flattering breeches so you can see the curves and flab, but I don't want to ask my boys or John for help taking the picture. I'm self-conscious enough. I'll need to wait until everyone is gone and then find a suitable place to position the camera with enough room for the pose. I haven't mastered those self-portraits I see so many are fond of these days. And besides, my arm isn't long enough for a full body shot! No promises on that picture, but I do think it might motivate me.

(A photo also might motivate me to get my hair cut and colored again. It has been a long time since I have seen my natural color and I have forgotten how much I don't like it!)

For today, I'll show you where I have been the last eight years. Here's to finding that 2008 body again!

This was taken in 2003, at my first Cowgirl Weekend. Blue looks mighty substantial, too. I needed a big horse to haul me around!


My first CTR in 2004. Note: I have no waist. How the heck did Ginger carry me around. Hefty, hefty hefty!


Back to CGW 2005. Pulled out Blue again for this ride and he looks in better shape than I do. Jeez, those thighs and that gut! How attractive - not! ! And look at those arms!



Thighs continue to inflate in 2006. Windy is wondering why she drew the short straw for this trip. I am surprised her petite legs can hold me!


Note Windy's muscle tone is getting better in 2007. She has been hauling my ass around for two years now!


This picture was taken one year later, following my 38 pound weight loss & regular exercise. This picture alone should motivate me to go back on the wagon.

And by 2009, you start to see some poundage on the thighs again.


And by the fall of 2010, I started pulling out the big clothes. Windy looks tired.
Here we go again!

Where is that Jillian DVD!
Now!






6 comments:

  1. First of all you don't look that bad. But getting the weight off will make you feel better. Sounds like a good DVD, I'll have to look it up. I really need to start something too. Since the holidays I've lost 9 pounds but that's nothing to write home about, I've got plenty more to go. If you really want to take a picture of yourself, try standing if front of a mirror. Don't know if it will work but maybe it will. Good luck on your weight and exercise journey. I'm with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started that very same DVD a few days ago too! I have the same problem with two years ago dropping nearly 40lbs and while I maintained that size for a year, this year my thighs and belly have begun storing the results of starting a new, mostly sedentary job. We can do this. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sympathy offered!!!.....I am currently at the almighty weight of 16 stone! Dont worry, I`m coming down!The trouble is, I seem to get to a point where it wont go down any farther!!!!!!!!! But this winter, I didnt stop exercise just kept going! Glad I did. The horse?...She is very grateful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on the weight loss thing. Wondered how the Jillian Michaels DVD would be, now I guess I know. I've been doing some exercises on my own but don't know enough to be sure I'm getting all the muscles groups.

    I heard Dr Oz say it's a bad thing to keep those old clothes. That it makes it easier to grow back into them. I think this time around I'm going to follow that advice and let mine hit the trash. I'd really like to get down and stay there.

    Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Tammy! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you'll do it! and just keeping posting at the trot come spring! I love the step/pedaling machine!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by and look forward to hearing from you! Do come again.